100 Greatest cycling climbs

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Anyone else get this book? Quite a nice wee compilation though I can't believe theres only 7 in Scotland :eek: Have done a few of them but surprisingly they are English ones, the ones on the Fred Whitton and the Etape du Dales climbs. Anyone else ridden any included?

It is a neat little guide but as always with these sort of compilations it's the ones omitted that cause the debate. Only 7 road climbs worth mentioning in the whole of Scotland? Doesn't sound right to me.

It appears that I've ridden very few of the hundred:
- Box Hill
- Winnats Pass
- Honister Pass
- Newlands Huse
- Whinlatter Pass
- Kirkstone Pass
- Hardknott Pass (when I said 'have ridden', 'have been up' would be more accurate :oops:
- Wrynose Pass
- Devil's Staircase
- The Tumble

So still 90 to do.

And the one I'd add that isn't featured? Gospel Pass, either from the very steep Hay on Wye side or the shallower but much longer Pandy side. Either way, a great climb with the most stunning views from the top of the pass. And added loose sheep to keep you honest on the descent.

I like it but as with any national guide its easy to find improvements. what it needs is an online data base extension that we could add to.
I can think of several here in the Forest of Dean that out do many of the southern English ones in the book. Who willbe the first to tick the lot then?

ededwards":2z1u1tw2 said:
It is a neat little guide but as always with these sort of compilations it's the ones omitted that cause the debate. Only 7 road climbs worth mentioning in the whole of Scotland? Doesn't sound right to me.

It appears that I've ridden very few of the hundred:
- Box Hill
- Winnats Pass
- Honister Pass
- Newlands Huse
- Whinlatter Pass
- Kirkstone Pass
- Hardknott Pass (when I said 'have ridden', 'have been up' would be more accurate :oops:
- Wrynose Pass
- Devil's Staircase
- The Tumble

But bloody hell, they're good ones to have done! I can literally feel my calf muscles cramping up reading through that list. Our lass's car doesn't like Winnats much and it's - well, a car...

Climbs.

the Pass of the Cattle...Ditchling Beacon(1994 TdF climb)...Porlock...Steep Hill...the A259 Exceat to Eastbourne via East Dean...the list goes on.

And on.

Roadking.

It looks like I've done

Park rash
Buttertubs pass
Fleet Moss
Tan Hill
Honister pass
Newlands house
Whinlatter
Kirkstone
Hardnott
Wrynose

More than I thought!

Climbs.

Hardest in terms of what?

Ok hardest in terms of steepest over shortest distance (like a climb in the Pyrenees or the Picos de Europa) would be the Pass of the Cattle on the west coast of Scotland.

Hardest in terms of length and steepness, possibly the Exceat to Eastbourne road, equal to Porlock. Although Porlock might get the prize as it features a tough hairpin.

Mind you Ditcling Beacon was a feature climb in the 1994 TdF - not easy.

Roadking.

Re: Climbs.

roadking":3fa2xmzh said:

Good question and I deliberately left it up to your judgement - the steep, short effort where you're hanging over the bars and struggling to keep cranks turning and the bike upright? Or the long, slow painful death of the Tour de France legendary climbs? I guess as this is the UK the latter type are the ones for this thread, and the ones that I fear the most.

Referring back to the book, there are just 6 that get 10/10

- Dunkery Beacon
- Rosedale Chimney
- The Lecht
- Hardknott Pass
- Wrynose Pass
- Bwlch-y-Groes

And one 11/10 :shock: Bealach-na-Ba at almost 9km long and with 623m of climbing.

The fact that 2 of the 7 are Scottish suggests that the balance of the book, with just seven total north of the border, is somewhat skewed.

So which one would I say is the toughest that I've been up? Well, I've only faced Hardknott and Wrynose during the Fred Whitton and they were truly formidable being both steep (Hardknott is 33% at points) and long enough that momentum and strength alone will not get you up and over. Even if I'd have been fresh, they would have been seriously daunting.

Would like to see/have a go at Bwlch-y-Groes and Bealach-na-Ba in particular - I've heard real horror stories!

Re: Climbs.

Bealach-na-Ba is the Pass of the Cattle.

I personally prefer the longer climbs where you can get into a rythmn.

Roadking.

ededwards":37aalrpm said:
roadking":37aalrpm said:

Good question and I deliberately left it up to your judgement - the steep, short effort where you're hanging over the bars and struggling to keep cranks turning and the bike upright? Or the long, slow painful death of the Tour de France legendary climbs? I guess as this is the UK the latter type are the ones for this thread, and the ones that I fear the most.

Referring back to the book, there are just 6 that get 10/10

- Dunkery Beacon
- Rosedale Chimney
- The Lecht
- Hardknott Pass
- Wrynose Pass
- Bwlch-y-Groes

And one 11/10 :shock: Bealach-na-Ba at almost 9km long and with 623m of climbing.

The fact that 2 of the 7 are Scottish suggests that the balance of the book, with just seven total north of the border, is somewhat skewed.

So which one would I say is the toughest that I've been up? Well, I've only faced Hardknott and Wrynose during the Fred Whitton and they were truly formidable being both steep (Hardknott is 33% at points) and long enough that momentum and strength alone will not get you up and over. Even if I'd have been fresh, they would have been seriously daunting.

Would like to see/have a go at Bwlch-y-Groes and Bealach-na-Ba in particular - I've heard real horror stories!

Back