Adidas merckx shoes - is fitting look cleats possible?

wblenkin

Retro Guru
I have a pair of the olds Adidas Merckx cycling shoes, they had toe-clips cleats on them originally.

I took the old cleats off to see if there was any way of fitting some look cleats. The soles are drilled for them, but have no plate to screw into, nor does there seem to be a way to get a plate in (the soles are stuff, wooden looking things that are sealed in.

Does anyone know if there's a way round this? It seems strand that they're drilled for cleats yet there's no way of fitting them.

Here's some pics of them:

photo.jpg

photo%20%282%29.jpg

photo%20%281%29.jpg

Also, here's a site I found where somebody mentions 'doing the look conversion', so there must be some way...?

http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2010/02/nos_eddy_merckx_adidas_cycling.php

Any help would be awesome, really want to use them but don't really wanna ride with toe clip cleats.

merckx shoes

try using the mounting plates and bolts from SPD pedals, you will have to cut the mounting plate in two and file it to fit in the hole, then use the spd bolts and large washers.

I'm not sure that the existing holes are for look plates. I reckon theyre for another system or drain holes.

We modified various shoes back in teh day when clipless emerged.

Here's what we did.
Take out the insoles.
Drill holes right throught the sole where you want them.(this is the hard bit to get right)
Insert some of these....

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+ ... 920/p41724

from the inside of the shoe, remembering to hammer them home.
replace insole
fit look plates.

jobs a good un

Yes, pigman has the right idea.

The old Look shoeplates had these pronged captive nuts with them but now they don't seem to have them. Probably because in the early/mid 1980s, everyone was adapting clips-and-straps shoes to fit these whereas nowadays, they're all prepared.

FWIW, I had Adidas Merckx shoes fitted with Cinelli M71 cleats, just screwed in - worked perfectly. :cool:

Yep, if those holes are in the right place for Look cleats you will need those pronged inserts. I have loads of them from BITD if you want some.

Mark.

Gorgeous shoes,...would love a pair, size 42 anyone,.....keep 'em original and use toeclips,...shame to spoil 'em.....IMHO

I've just had a look at mine. The sole has two layers; the black plastic outer sole and an inner sole bonded to the outer sole made from a sort of woodchip/cork layer, there's no insole.

The 3 holes in a triangular shape nearest to the 4 slots are not drilled all the way through, you can see the brown inner sole through one of the holes. So they are not drain holes.

Back