Bonded Alloy Frame

TS

Retro Newbie
I know this is a bit rude, diving in for advice.. but I saw this

*see next post*

on ebay and thought, thats cool but what the hell is a bonded aluminium frame?!?

So a search seems so throw up a few bad stories, would I be wise to buy a 20 year old bonded frame?

The only bonded ones I've ever seen were the Alan-type ones where the lugs are clearly visible. This seems to be one step further in respect of the finish.

Ask if there are any visible signs if movement around the lugs, like cracked paint. If not, I'd go for it!

I have an early 90's Trek 1500 bonded aluminum frame in the basement that's seen a hard life. It was recently media-blasted and powder-coated clear. It shows no signs whatsoever of fatigue. I'll try to get a photo this evening to show you where it's bonded. It's not particularly light, but it's definitely sturdy.

Thanks guys, suppose I could always glue it back together in the worst case :) .
And the weight.. 1.8kg apparently, but at least this must mean its sturdy.

Hehe don't know about gluing it back together but it probably won't come apart in the first place. There's plenty of carbon fibre bonded Giant Cadexes still around and they've never had the reputation of being dangerous, despite the retro grouches who will duck for cover when they hear the words "carbon" and "bonded" in one sentence.

Here are some photos of a "naked" bonded aluminum Trek. Please excuse the iPhone photo quality.

Attachments

• trek-1.JPG
    trek-1.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 798
  • trek-3.JPG
    trek-3.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 798
  • trek-2.JPG
    trek-2.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 798
Back