Raleigh Record Ace 1980 WK0 last year at Worksop info please

KermitGKona88

Gold Trader
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Hi Everyone

I purchased this off a good friend thinking it was an 82/84 model, was pleasantly surprised to find out it is an earlier 1980 model.

It came with a mish mash of parts and I would like to try to return it to as close to original spec as possible, without spending a fortune as I am a tight wad :LOL:

Parts I think are original : Raleigh branded SR two bolt seatpost, Brown suede saddle marked made in italy (ISCA Selle?), Weinmann 605 brakes early type with matchng levers, Stem marked 'British Made' with Cinelli type wedge (GB?), Handlebars have no markings at all but are the direct fit type where the brake levers screw directly in to bosses on the bars, Tange headset the type with lots of flats on all the cups, Suntour clamp on cable guide, SR Raleigh branded L/H crank.

Parts that might be original : Suntour power gear levers, Suntour Cyclone GT rear mech, it came fitted with a Shimano 600 Arabesque front mech ( My friend says he has the original still and will look for it tomorrow ), it also came with miss-matched wheels 27x1-1/4 Weinmann front rim and Rigida or possibly Wolber rear rim both on Maillard hubs, not too worried about these as I have a pair of Weinmann Concave rims on Maillard hubs in the same size.

The one thing I know for certain is not correct is the Shimano 105 Golden arrow R/H crank.

I am also thinking of fitting Suntour bar end shifters period correct but more useable.

Any help on the spec will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers for looking.

Mark :D

Re:

I had one of these a few years back . {2012} Purchased second hand .
Pretty sure it stood on 27x 1 1/4 wheels .It was all orginal and in excellent condition having seen little use. It will have a look and see if I had the spec for it. I dated it to about mid 1970's or so .Fairly sure it had Campagnolo gran sport gears fitted . I do remember Raleigh kept changing the spec on this model on a regular basis .

In 1982 I bought a new RRA , which had 700c wheels,Suntour gears and a drilled SR chainset . 10 years later I rode end to end on it :cool:
Have you seen these sites?.

http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_catdata.html

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/catalogs/

2012 one .
Raleigh RRA late 70's early80's by rebalrid, on Flickr

Raleigh RRA by rebalrid, on Flickr

Re: Raleigh Record Ace 1976 WK6 Spec info please

Hi Bagpuss

Thank you for the reply, the one you have pictured looks like the early 80's one I expected I have the 84' and 85' catalogues, the one I have doesn't have the brazed on cable guides for running under the bottom bracket. It has a Suntour clip fit guide running over the bottom bracket. I used that web site to check what I could make out of the frame number, W = Worksop, K = July, 6 = 1976, The Worksop factory finished in 1980.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark and bagpuss,
I have the very same RRA as in the photo above WK2etc with Campag Gran Sport N. T. gearset.
What you missed in the code guide was,
"N=Nottingham, W=Worksop (1967-1980), Nottingham after 1981, following closure of Worksop factory. Discontinued in 1990."
So the Worksop code numbering continued seamlessly to the Special Products dept. at Nottingham! This was to distinguish between the hand-built lightweight dept. frames from the factory mass production ones. (This does not imply SBDU, another topic altogether.)
So WK6 in theory could be '76 or '86, but as you say the features of your frame would indicate the earlier '76 manufacture.
Bagpuss, my identical one to your photos came brand new with 27x1/4's from a Raleigh dealership in Chatham. Very soon after RRA's did come with 700cs, but not as OEM on '82's. There are always exceptions, of course!
Regards,
Robin.

Re:

Always found this model of Raleigh a really comfortable ride . When I bought the last one in 2012 , I had every intention to keep it . However with other projects on the go , space was an issue :( . It had no trouble finding a new home .
I have noticed I made a faux pas in my reply late last night saying i dated mine from the mid 70's onwards . Clearly it is not . On my orginal flickr picture post it says late 70's to early 80's . I should read my own information :facepalm:

Mark
I take it yours has the ice green colour scheme.

Robin .
Have you any photos of yours? It is always nice to see another of this particular bike .

Paul.

Of no use whatsoever but its an excuse to put mine up from 1984

*and interestingly where it ended up!

https://www.63velo.com/raleigh-record-a ... 4594616705

file.php

Re:

Very smart .
Interesting to see that the font used on the down tube decal had changed .

Maybe we need to start on RRA appreciation page :cool:

Paul

Re:

Okay did a bit more digging about this as the number was not clear, a lot of sanding later discovered it was a Zero with an S across the bottom for some reason, so adjusted the title.

I wish it was the lovely green plan is to build and ride this summer and have a re-spray and sticker over the winter.

Added a couple of pictures of the earlier details.

Cheers

Mark :D

Attachments

• RRA seatpost.jpg
    RRA seatpost.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 252
  • RRA frame.jpg
    RRA frame.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 252
  • RRA Bottom bracket.jpg
    RRA Bottom bracket.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 252