Has anyone heard of Woodford bikes?

grl

Retro Newbie
Hi,

My grandad bought a neat black ladies' racing frame with modestly pretty lugs from a shop in North London in the 70s-80s, which I have inherited. It has 'Woodford' transfers on it in block letters.

He reckons it was built by a London maker, possibly the Witcombs. It doesn't have a number on it and I haven't managed to track down the shop.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has ever heard of Woodford or could confirm/ refute this theory of where the frame came from!

Photos here - http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/5675681545

Many thanks,

Georgia

Re:

First of all, welcome to the forum. ;)

The name seems familiar, do you have any photos of the frame? Some close up photos of the lugs may help identifying the make too.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I've added a link with some photos to the first post. I had it resprayed - it was previously black - and had the eyes braised onto the back to take a mudguard.

Georgia

Re:

Woodford is an area of North London, I know this because I lived there until I was 15.

There were a couple of local bike shops, but I can't tell you anything about them as I really wasn't a bike enthusiast then, to me bikes were just a method of free transport, but I do remember buying inner tubes and brake blocks locally, from a proper old bike shop.

Re:

There is a Woodford Cycles. I'd guess they had someone's frame painted up in shop colours. But who?

Mike

Neither of the current bike shops in Woodford, North London, were open in the 70s-80s. Andy from the Woodford Cycle Centre, which has only been open 6 years, also remembers a number of bike shops that were around at the time - 'Hetchins, Lipscombes, Morris to name a few, but I cannot remember any shop branded as Woodford.'

The plot thickens!

Back