Dura-Ace 7402 rear mech question

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
There is so much out there that conflicts other information that I thought I try the simple way. Can anyone confirm if a 7402 rear mech is of the era when its cable pull is different to a "normal" Shimano cable pull? I think it is but cannot be sure.
Thinking of using it with more modern bar end levers. I know there is a clamping fix but just thought I would check.

Re:

Cheers but been though there. Sheldon suggests a different cable pull but that's not great as the pics that go with it don't match the mech and are barely possible. Also all that filling mentioned doesn't let me use a 9 speed cassette. If I was staying 8 all would be fine.
I am sure that the mech doesn't match but wanted to check.

Re:

Yes, 7402 has a different cable pull to standard 8 speed. You need either the matching 7402 levers, or any 9 speed levers, which have the same cable pull per click as the 7402. Always with an 8 speed cassette, which all have the same spacing. Or you could just use any DT levers in friction mode

I'm using a 7402 on my 86 Merckx with modern Shimano 8 speed (Sora) brifters with no issues. Modern 8 speed Shimano cassette.

Re:

I also have a question on 7402 rear mechs. Why are they almost always scratched up? I am yet to find a truly mint one whereas I have mint Crane, 7200 and EX. Is it down to the design that they get damaged more in a spill or storage?

Re:

Funnily enough, its 9 speed levers that are fitted and the indexing is crap. As legend says 8 speed except Dura Ace is the same as 9 I should expect any different I suppose.
Just wanted to use the mech as its nicer than my others.

Re:

Funnily enough, its 9 speed levers that are fitted and the indexing is crap. As legend says 8 speed except Dura Ace is the same as 9 I should expect any different I suppose.
Just wanted to use the mech as its nicer than my others.

I was always under the impression that up and including 8 speed was compatible across components but anything over 8 was a problem, due to shorter pull distance to allow for the narrower gap between 9 speed and upwards sprockets??

Latest posts

Back