OK to change the cable arrangement on my cantis?

JohnH

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
When I unhook the cantilever straddle wires on my bike, only one of the cantilevers gets out of the way of the tyre, which makes it a pain in the arse to remove/replace the wheels (I have to do this a lot, 'cos the bike won't fit into the back of the Clio unless I do).

3765428846_ae0b5f0d43.jpg

So I think that it would be easier for me if I got rid of this Shimano arrangement and replaced it with a straddle wire and a simple yoke hanger like this one...

14034steel_l.jpg

So my question is: Will there be any drawbacks if I do this?

I'm worried that if the two brakes are connected to each other directly and one has a slightly stronger spring than the other, the weaker side will be constantly pulled onto the rim by the stronger side.

no, it will be fine, you can use the screw to balance the spring tension

get nicer triangles than that though - you can get anodised tektro ones on ebay pretty cheaply

The only thing is IF the pull cable breaks or works loose, then the straddle cable hooks onto the tyre and stops you superfast. It's not nice on the back, and on the front you go flying.

Ideally you tie it back with a loose zip tie (or one of those spacky reflector plates) to stip the loose straddle cable touching the tyre.

you dont have to use a hook type . there will be enough slack in the straddle cable to pull it off one canti and once unattached gives loads space for both cantis to move out of the way

there are normally a few triangle hangers on ebay , bmx ad990s also use a hanger so you could use one of those if you find one you like the look of

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've always worked by slackening the clamp bolt a little, the nipple on the end of the cable stops it coming right off. Then both sides will come clear of the tyre.

Having said that I always used those power boosty pivoty thingies with cantis so the hook on the straddle wire was never an option.

Hamster is dead right about the straddle wire catching in the tyre should it come unhooked. It happened to a mate of mine once when his cable nipple came away. He braked gently and for some reason the cable nipple disintegrated and the straddle dropped onto the front tyre. Unfortunately I was about three feet behind. :shock: :cry: :x

"Oh tut tut and deary me," I said when I'd disentangled myself from the wreckage. "What a foolish man you are." (Or words to that effect) At least I did until I found out what had happened. Then I just castigated him for buying crap cables.

Back