Left crank fell off!

PurpleFrog

Kona Fan
..While I was riding, thank you!

Can anyone think of anyway this shouldn't be considered the fault of the LBS that just serviced the bike??? (I am soooo not up to servicing a BB right now, although I know most of you lot could take one apart with your fingers and clean the bearings in your mouth.)

left cranks are one of the most common failures on a bike,hence why bike shops sell seperate left cranks as spares.if they have been removed then they should be checked again for tightness after the first ride or so as the taper may have some wear in it allowing it to work loose so you could say its the lbs fault if they didnt tell you to check this but i think you would have a very hard time arguing this.....

stew-b":2n1ntfzc said:
left cranks are one of the most common failures on a bike,hence why bike shops sell seperate left cranks as spares.if they have been removed then they should be checked again for tightness after the first ride or so as the taper may have some wear in it allowing it to work loose so you could say its the lbs fault if they didnt tell you to check this but i think you would have a very hard time arguing this.....

No, if it's the case that the taper is worn then it isn't the shop's fault. Thanks. Does this mean I need a new left crank?

does it look damaged?? its worth trying to bolt it back on and see if it holds,again check for tightness after or during the 1st ride!

The crank doesn't look at all damaged. It's been years since I did anything to a bike and I never did anything with the cranks back then - I'm not sure what would normally hold it in place. I don't even know what type of crank it is - I *think* square taper (this is an 88 Lava Dome) - or if any hardware has gone missing. I have no idea how to work out if the taper has gone or what type of replacement I might need...

Beside suggestions on the above, can anyone recommend a good repair book for older MTBs?

If you look at the taper ,where it attaches to the axle
There should be a bolt there ,if there isnt and theres one one the drive side ,it means its just loosened off and fallen out
replacement crank bolts cost only a few quid
put the crank back on and put a new bolt on to hold it in place.
Go for a wee ride,then retighten as needed

you shouldnt retighten , the cranks should be set at a torque and thats it . retightening means it wasnt tight enough in the first place and your now pushing the crank further along the taper

i suspect itl be a nut not a bolt due to age . if you have caps on the cranks you should find the nut in there . if not there might not have been one in the first place ( ie forgotten ) if you dont have a cap and the nuts gone the guy has poor skills as it should have been loctite in place . you would have noticed the cranks were loose . if its fallen off itl be the guy who fitted its fault

PurpleFrog":31b1o6oi said:
..While I was riding, thank you!

Can anyone think of anyway this shouldn't be considered the fault of the LBS that just serviced the bike??? (I am soooo not up to servicing a BB right now, although I know most of you lot could take one apart with your fingers and clean the bearings in your mouth.)

tell people you have an extremely powerful left leg :cool:

Back