turn old crank set into single speed

thedirtyroger

Retro Guru
How do you turn an old crankset into a single speed crankset. Is it as simple as taking of the rings you don't want and wacking it back on?

:cool:

yes :) you normally find that the middle ring is the best for alignment with your rear sprocket.

Yup, just middle ring it.

I mounted the middle ring on the outside, purely for visual appeal, but best to check chain angle when doing this though.

Middle chainrings best but if you keep outer chainring as well you do not need shorter chainring bolts and it doubles as a basic bash guard :cool:

Weirdos like me though go for inner chainring so I can have lower SS gears, currently 28/16. I spin out quicker but thats just a reason to freewheel and I get further up a hill before my knees explode :LOL:

Join the SS darkside ;)

I ground/turned the teeth off outer chainrings and sprang for ss specific middle ring(longer teeth hold the chain better,no shifting pins).

I would have thought if you use a normal back wheel with freehub it wouldn't matter which ring position you use as you just spacer the ring on the freehub to align it.
Though freehubs are heavy and not true SSing I would assume.
If you went outerring you could get away with a shorter bottom bracket.

Of course I've never singlespeeded before, not something i'm interested in really.

FluffyChicken":nuboddsm said:
I would have thought if you use a normal back wheel with freehub it wouldn't matter which ring position you use as you just spacer the ring on the freehub to align it.

Of course I've never singlespeeded before, not something i'm interested in really.

Works with a cassette but not a freehub, it seems. I have no idea why.

PurpleFrog":37um5igp said:
FluffyChicken":37um5igp said:

Works with a cassette but not a freehub, it seems. I have no idea why.
freehub is a hub with a big heavy thing (freehub body) on attached to the hub that you put the cassette onto then use a lockring. i.e. everyday shimano one.

Are you thinking freewheel where you screw the cassette/ring on ? which is what I would assume true SS'ers would use to reduce weight and scre a ring on and turn it into a BMX :cool:

.... saying i'm not interested I may have to try it, since I did put adverts for the SS competition Gil was doing and I would only be popping to work 1m away on it and it would make use of some old parts I have and at least then I could comment on it.

Back