My stem's stuck!

Ziggy

Senior Retro Guru
I can't get the stem out of my Saracen! Any ideas other than brute force & ignorance?! It's currently enjoying a good soak in WD40. Probably hasn't moved in years though... :?

Why couldn't they have invented threadless headsets a bit earlier?! :LOL:

Always a bigger hammer...

Prolly already done this, but I put the wheel and bars in to twist and break bond first. If still stuck, then get a big hammer

Turn upside down, S**t loads of duck oil or similar (motor oil is too thick, 3 in 1 is better). Leave for ages, then some more! Then put stem in vice, wheel in forks and turn fork holding the wheel.

Hope it works.

A slight variation on the above.

Turn upside down and soak in Penetrene* (assuming you can get it in your part of the world), for a week or two.

Place the forks up to the crown in a woodworking vice or other vice with soft wood to protect the legs, and tap side of stem with plastic mallet (use another piece of wood to protect it as required) to loosen.

You can also tap upwards under the stem as this sometimes is enough.

But the real trick is to soak it for as long as you can. Mates in the car restoration business have been know to soak seized stuff for very long periods to enable parts to be used again (years in the case of one rust seized engine).

* Penetrene is a specially formulated lubricant and penetrating oil. It penetrates to loosen frozen and rusted metal parts and protects against rust and corrosion.

andrewl":15bl1ma1 said:
* Penetrene is a specially formulated lubricant and penetrating oil. It penetrates to loosen frozen and rusted metal parts and protects against rust and corrosion.

That sounds like Aussie Duck Oil! ;)

Just a thought, but you've probably done this, after you undone the bolt did you whack the bolt - with a mallet - to release the wedge bit in the steerer tube that clamps it in place?

:?:

turn upside down and pour in some coke non diet works best leave for a while,overnight is best, and it should free up.

mikee

loosen the quil bolt, whack it, turn it upside down and hit the bottom of the quil with something plastic faced through the hole in the forks.

Good exercise this. Hold front wheel in legs and just TWIIIIIISSSST

Very satisfying when it goes CRACK and its freed....

(Or your wheel gets bent)

Back