Help dating my Orange - OWMTBC content

CAS

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
OK Guys -serious business! Now that my entry is in for the OWMTB Championships I really need to sort out a bike to ride for the event. Not a lot of choice really as I have a mix of old and new bikes so I guess the Orange C16R is the one most likely to qualify age wise.

So how old is this one? It's got a 1" quill stem so I guess it must be quite old

Can Orange bikes be dated from the frame number?? Frame number starts A5020.....

Appreciate any help from you Orange enthusiasts out there :)

Attachments

• Orange c16R.jpg
    Orange c16R.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,402
don't think its that old, my friend has one and it must be 96ish

An earlier one has the seat post slot facing the rear a later one has the slot at the front ... 95 to 97 97-98

I too think that's a 1995, size 15. I'm saying that from the colour and decal style, but I believe the A5 also backs it up. I think they continued with 1" steerers until at least 1997 BTW.

Excellent example incidentally, could just do with the C-16R decal on the top tube, that's all.

daj":1c62ys4o said:
An earlier one has the seat post slot facing the rear a later one has the slot at the front ... 95 to 97 97-98

Yep - post slot definitely faces rear!

And Anthony - I hadn't actually noticed that there was no C16R decal on that side. Strangely the decals on the non drive side are complete and much better condition. Looks like I shall have to get a new set of decals for the non drive side

I'm struggling a little with the fit for me on this bike - you'll see from my signature I'm looking for a shorter stem for it. Current one is 120mm but I could do with 90mm or 100mm and/or an in line seatpost just to make the reach more comfortable.

I want to have parts that are in keeping though rather than overtly modern bits.

Thanks for your help everyone! If I can settle on 1995 as a date maybe I can ride it at OWMTBC with a reasonably clear conscience!

CAS":1u5h1r0p said:
I'm struggling a little with the fit for me on this bike - you'll see from my signature I'm looking for a shorter stem for it. Current one is 120mm but I could do with 90mm or 100mm and/or an in line seatpost just to make the reach more comfortable.
I want to have parts that are in keeping though rather than overtly modern bits.
I found my size 19 a little too long, and eventually found a very tasteful Salsa quill stem which I think is 90mm. Not that easy to find in 1" second-hand I guess, but certainly did the trick and looked the part. They still make them, but they're not that cheap when you buy them new! http://www.salsacycles.com/stems.html

Anthony":2quu917x said:
CAS":2quu917x said:
I found my size 19 a little too long, and eventually found a very tasteful Salsa quill stem which I think is 90mm. Not that easy to find in 1" second-hand I guess, but certainly did the trick and looked the part. They still make them, but they're not that cheap when you buy them new! http://www.salsacycles.com/stems.html

Thanks for the suggestion -I'll have a look!

Back