Alpinestars Cro-mega any good?

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've wanted an Alpinestars Cro-Mega for ages, but as I sit here and think about spending my hard-earned cash, I wonder if they are, in all honesty any good? I'd want a near to 100% standard one as possible, like this:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... plinestars

and sell my Orange to pay for it:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

I'm not intending to modify it in any way, just ride it. Anybody thrashed one around the woods and got an opinion on the ride?

Thanks. SP

Plus points:

Uphill riding; tight singletrack; tough frame; proper retro stop-and-stare looks...

Minus points:

Twitchy downhill; not the lightest

Tips:

Make sure you get the front mech with ant frame - hard to find otherwise.

Shouldn't have to pay more than £75 for a decent frame and fork.

Mr K

Alpinestars were and still are fantastic to ride :D I still ride my non e-stay Cro-Mega DX now and it's every bit as goo as it was when I bought it in 1990!

This is my one, still renovating it, but nearly completely original :D This is lighter than my GT as well

Attachments

• 01_141.jpg
    01_141.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,378
Stiffness may be a question on an E-stay Cro-Mega. That design was aided by the stiffer tubes of an Al-Mega as I recall. Nice 'bike of its time' aesthetic either way.

Sinnett must be doing overtime. he is on his second recent Alpine Stars, seem like great bikes and at affordable prices too, strangely enough he sold his very tidy Orange build for another Cro Mega, So he must like em even despite deep rooted passion for em.

I say for what you have spent... have both! Why not? :cool:

HTH

If I'm going to buy an Alpinestars, it has to be an e-stay Cro-Mega. The one on eBay that was in good condition but had been re-sprayed went for £100 + P&P. I really want an original, that is unless it handles like barge! I've bought bikes on the 'hype' before and been disapointed.

Update, checking through the catalogues it was actually the right colour from 1992 :roll: d'oh. I really want a grey and white one though, not red as was for sale. I'm not fussy, honest!

I had one exactly the same as the one pictured back in 92.

Not ridden one since about 94, So my memory is a bit hazey!!

I do remember enjoying riding it,although as said before it was a bit lumpy! but the good thing about this old bike lark is that if you don't get on with it you will not have a problem finding a new owner.

Buy it, try it, you may like it.

Al, :D

Back