Creaking Orange X1 frame.

RTSclassic

Geoff Capes
HELP! My bike sounds like an old bed frame in a students dorm ;) the creak sounds like it is coming from the front end of the bike and is in sync with my pedalling, I really don't think it's the bottom bracket. It's worse when working hard out of the saddle but still there when peddaling normally. The frame is a steely, I am running a Hope headest and Pace RC36 fork. here is what I have tried.

Removed the stem and riser greased everywhere metal meets metal including all bolts.

WD40 the sliders on fork tightened and greased Crown bolts.

Tightened rear shock (in case it is the rear)

Greased entire seat tube clamp assembly/rails and bolts (in case it is the rear)

Greased QR skewers.

Any ideas anyone?

I have an X1 - my thought would be the rear pivot - have you taken this apart and regreased lately?

Tightened up the cranks?

Tightened up the chainring bolts?

if you are convinved its coming from the front end i'd check the headset and front hub. could be a cracked or lose fork brace> check everything carefully for cracks - creaks dont just happen...

This probably doesn't help much (so why am i posting ?!?!)

But..... I had a creaking on my (modern) Kona that sounded like it was coming from the front end. It turns out that it was the seat clamp.

The point being that creaks have a nasty habit of echoing through the frame, and sounding like they're somewhere other than the source.

that said, as you've cleaned and greased the seat post etc and it also creaks when you're standing on the pedals, it's probably not this :roll:

First port of call in my book is cranks and BB. Don't re-fit your cranks with grease though, this will just cause more problems. Just make sure that they're really clean before re-fitting.

Thanks guys host of ideas the common theme seems to be I may have localised my search to the front end a little quickly.

I haven't checked the rear pivot since I got the bike. Is the procedure for taking the pivot apart a nightmare? the whole stretchy black rubber think makes me think it could be a headache. Incidently the rubber looks pretty tired any ideas on where I could find a replacement?

Cheers

It's pretty simple on mine at least - just undo the allen key right inside the pivot and pull the cups out. They may be quite tight though so you might have to be 'creative' in getting them out!

Latest posts

Back