Suspension Forks For 1991 Cannondale SM500

MarcusD

Dirt Disciple
Just after some advice (Again :LOL: )

It's my Dad's birthday soon and he has always wanted some suspension forks for his Cannondale and now I have found this site I reckon I could find him some :cool:

Could anyone reccomend a set for me? And what do I need to be looking for? His bike is completely standard so has the standard stem etc.

Cheers,

Marcus

For that era of bike you'll have problems trying to fit a suspension fork without upsetting the handling.

Even if you go for a 50mm travel Judy it may well be too much. :?

Best bet is to get a flexstem. ;)

Xesh":3biajczz said:
For that era of bike you'll have problems trying to fit a suspension fork without upsetting the handling.

Even if you go for a 50mm travel Judy it may well be too much. :?

Best bet is to get a flexstem. ;)

Hummmm! I have a flexstem in the garage on my Trek Single Track, but he isn't having that :LOL:

I've only ever seen cannondales with cannondale suspension (I don't like that) but with the fatter tubes I would be tempted to go the manitou route as opposed to the slimmer rockshocks of the time.

You'll get way with 50mm travel, we all did it then.

The Ken":208myjv6 said:
You'll get way with 50mm travel, we all did it then.

Absolutely no probs on 50mm,BITD sus forks came out before sus adjusted frames,do you think we all waited? :LOL:
I think i had a quadra on my cannondale[really must get a pic or it up]

50mm was the norm then,you could really hold your head up if you sported 63 :LOL:

Looks like dad is in for a bouncy treat :D

Personally I would just get another flexstem. As has been said, these bikes were never spec'd with sus forks and it could upset the handling, whereas Flexstems were often sported on Cannondales, in fact were'nt they actiually spec'd on some models?

My first suspension bike was a late 80s/early nineties cannondale with 1inch steerer and RS1s. It was great... until the head tube fell off... Got a new frame on warranty which is still going as a communter...

Back