putting on Kona decals

Kilawayah Child

Old School Hero
I'm about to put some decals on my Hei Hei. Anyone know how best to do this so I can get them all lined up and looking their best???

I used masking tape to make a line parallel to the tube in the correct place for the bottom of the decal. I then used a scalpel to cut away the excess backing in a line directly along the bottom of the decal, I could then line this up with the masking tape.

Two things:

1) take your time

2) do the the non-drive side first so when you c0ck up the first decal you won't see it every time you look at the bike!

Put them on a GT first, that way if you feck it up, youve not messed up a decent bike :)

(suggestion above is more suitable)

Also take a good look at some pics of the production bikes / catalogs / magazines to make sure ou get the positioning 100%

Look at the proportions of the decals compared to where they are placed on the frame.

Hope this helps,

Chaser.

One thing I often notice is the downtube decal being placed too far down on the down tube. They should be closer to the top than the bottom - often the K of Kona is approximately just above the lower bottle boss. Look at the catalogue pictures of yours to make sure you get it right.

Good luck. :D

A tip I picked up laying some 3M tape on a carbon frame was to spray a solution of water and detergent onto the frame. This allows you to move the sticker around and position it and change if need be, I know this doesn't actually help line them up but could help stop ruining new decals!

Back