Errrr, Quite Astonishing.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
As some of you may know, I have a green 1990 Saracen Kili Flier Comp that I am going to convert into a long distance tourer. I was going to use the rebuild fillet brazed one but decided I like using it as a mountain bike too much! So back to the green one. It has only ever had two bottom brackets. The original cup and cone and one of those new fangled sealed ones that I had fitted in th early 90s.
It hasn't been touched since and now I want to fit 170 cranks I may need a different length BB. It would be well and truly 'welded' in by now but no!! I have taken the non-drive crank off and with only moderate straining and minor swearing it has moved half a turn!!

I'm impressed. No need for me to write any of this of course but you read about so many stuck components I thought you may like to hear about one that isn't!

The seat post has been stuck in my Norman Fay for some 25 years.

The BB came out without the requirement of even mild profanity such as 'botheration' or 'golly golly golly gosh'

Well, it's out. It has BB-UN71 on it and is pretty dirty. It still spins very smoothly despite what hust be tens of thousands of miles. The current trip is 11,000 odd. Well done Shimano!

Amazing to think some of the dirt on it is Welsh, dates back to the early 90s and got in there when I had hair and even had to tie it back to keep it out of my face. For those who don't know me, my twins saw a couple of photos of me from that era and didn't know it was me!

I just got a slick off and on without tyre levers ... and still have all my fingers and thumbs!

Kestonian":2ox3exed said:
I just got a slick off and on without tyre levers ... and still have all my fingers and thumbs!

Only for the valve to rip off as I was pumping it up ...

Normal order is restored

Back