Star Fangled Nuts - best & worst?

neilll

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Who makes good Star Fangled Nuts and where from please....seen some Cane Creek ones on CRC for £2.99, are they any good, or doesn't it really matter what make I buy?

(excuse the dumbness....im only just moving to this modern Ahead thing....I'm a quill kiddie ;) )

Neill

Get the right size SFN from your LBS as steerer thickness can be a factor. I have used headlocks in the past and they are heavy and have to be cut to the right length so limit their future use. In 16 years of using threadless steerers I have never had an SFN slip. Oh, and never re-use an SFN as that is asking for trouble.

never liked hammering them in

for many years ive used an fsa connix wedge , ive also got a hope one too

the azonic headlock is good , also keeps dirt out of the bottom of the steerer

a lot of the time i would remove them once the stem was tightened , but you have to offset the weight saved with the time spent telling people the stem wont come off , it only sets preload

years ago my s&m pitchforks had an insert welded in but the best ive seen so far are my macneil rubens that have an internal thread and large cap

Gravy Monster":2umlrv4s said:
Hi Neilll,

Im no expert either when it comes to Ahead but I have heard people use headlocks as the SFN jobber is only pressed in, if your stem works loose and you pull up its game over :cry:

If your stem was loose enough to come off the steerer you'd soon know about it even without pulling up on the bars. I've never seen a stem "work loose" anyway - I've seen someone ride off without tightening the pinch bolts, he only got a couple of yards though, before a painful fall onto concrete..... :roll:

Me too,ive never had a sfn come loose either ,ive used them since they came out and hammered hell out of it ,if it was or could come loose then it would have long ago
Headlock is a nice system as it also keeps the crud out the bottom

SFN is only there to allow you to tension the bearings anyway - it's the stem pinch bolts that actually hold the whole thing together.

You should be able to remove the top cap and bolt once it's tensioned and ride off - it's best not to as it's a failsafe, but it's not actually doing anything in normal use.

neilll.
I just use what ever comes with a headset. Never had a problem with any.
If you want some pm me and i'll put a couple in the post to yer. I have quite a few new ones around the shed and toolbox.

Cheers Mike.

Neill, I have a SFN installation tool if you want to borrow it. As long as I get it back before 2011, unlike another tool I lent to a person on this site!

Back