MTB race in Brighton - with a retro category

Jerome

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello,
Heads up for any retro racers out there.
http://www.brightonbigdog.com/
Retro category for pre 95 bikes.
I rode last year, nice quick course with a lot of singletrack.
Great atmosphere, with a bit of a party afterwards or so I was told as had to miss it.
I'm local, so if let me know if I can answer any questions.
Cheers
Jerome

Why a separate cat for vintage bikes. I race against new bikes. It's about rider not what you ride.
Also I never found single track fast. As it's possible to get stuck behind a slower rider until the track widens out and can pass.

Unless they have a veteran with walking stick category, I think I might be sorely outpaced. I heard those climbs were noticeable.

I don't know whether a 94 frame with 96 XT and 97 Z2s would pass as pre-95 anyway, but what I don't understand is what does Open Retro mean in practice? It says "There are 4 different categories to enter. Solo, Pairs, Team of Three and Open Retro (pre-95 bikes only!)" And the fee for Open Retro is the same as for a solo entry. So it seems to read as though the Open Retro category is restricted to solo riders only. For a 6-hour race. Hmmmm.

Interesting. I'm in the country at the time as well.

Do you know any details from last year on the team entry? Is it lap format - so one rider on the course at any time, or does each rider do 6 hours? The website is a little sparse on details for now

Here are the results of the equivalent race last year.
Edit to include link! http://www.timelaps.co.uk/assets/uploads/rev%202B08.htm

The lap was 6 miles. Last year it was solo, pair or team, but it seems as though this year the length is cut to six hours and a team is three rather than four. The retro category is new, so last year's results are no guide to that, but they only seem to be inviting solo entries for it, although the website isn't very clear.

I'll probably be there as it's kinda close to me (like 1 hour away or so)
Am still trying to find out what accomodation there is round there. There's no campsites on an OS map nearby...

If you read he info, the retro bikes have to be inspected by a official, to prove that they are retro, our very own Gus aka Wu-tangled !

Back