Tuning a RockShox Mag21

KillerTurtle

Devout Dirtbag
I have a RockShox Mag 21 that appears to be in good shape. I run V-brakes on my GT. Is it possible to replace the black brace (the thing intended to guide old style brakes and countering flex) of the Mag21 with somehting else?

Guessing that just removing it will result in too much flex?!

Any help is appreciated!

Greetings Sven

Not a good idea to run the fork without a brace. If the worst comes to the worst you could always cut off the stop and re-paint the brace.

There were aftermarket braces, but they all had the canti stops on them. I too, would dremel off the brace, sand and paint the whole thing again.

quadras had the same arch and very late quadras came with a v-brake only arch

good luck finding one though - they're not exactly common

A few companies made different braces for it and there where other semi compatible versions that where on other forks.
AC, Westpipe being two that made a different brace
RockShox also made their SL brace with which is magnesium... so aviod it as it's flexier than the standard Aluminium one. The SL crown though is stiffer and lighter :)

The brace not only stiffens it up but helps keep both legs running together (ok so this is still actual stiffeneing it does), it's still there and used on none centre pull cantilever style braces.
RockShox did make a 'v-brake' one for the MAG series later in it's life, no different other than it has no hanger and it would be far quicker to either just leave it there or chop it off.

But's that is a very small part of tuning, do you want to know about modifying the internals, air/oil heights, curves, weights and making them longer travel etc ?

Length of travel, air pressure, capacity (or oil height).
Oil weight, Valve spring preload, rebound and compression hole diamter (and number of hoels I think) and probably some other springs and what not.

a lot of that would depend on the year of MAG21's you have.
and how fat/thin you are and probably a lot about how you like them to feel.

I have 2 x Mag 21's and a Mag21 SL Ti and Quadra21, all of them have a canti mount on the brace, even my '97 judy dh has a canti mount :?

Also have a NOS Mag21 long travel kit :D awaiting to find a rebuilt kit then the SL's are getting the works. 63mm travel i believe!

Back