Orange P7 advice

etiennevert

Retro Newbie
Now then - I am new to this forum so excuse my ignorance. Have recently pulled my '95 P7 out of retirement and am looking to put some front suspension forks on it (without breaking the bank!). Can anyone advise on what I should be looking for (with a 1" steerer tube).

Also - the rear wheel (Mavic) rim has just split so could do with advice on a decent replacement with the correct rear set on it (does that make sense?) again advice required as I've just stuck an old wheel on for now but it's from a 9 speed bike so gear selection is pants and a bit hit and miss. The bike has stx gear throughout if that makes any difference.

As you can probably tell I'm not that technically minded but just want to get hold of some decent replacements, for what have been to date original parts, that are of decent quality so I can use the bike for what it was intended for.

Cheers :?

That model was never meant for sus[i may be wrong]
But 50-80mm sus fork should pose no problems
After all, BITD we were fitting sus forks to just about anything with wheels,then hammering it
You must however fit a Pace fork
Match made in heaven :cool:

I agree with Dyna Ti's comments.

Original or Pace forks are the 'rule' for most british bikes round these parts but it is your bike, so fit what you like and you never know, you may show us how narow our vision is! ;)

Pace RC35 - gives you the most likelihood of finding a 1" steerer of all the forks really.

There are other forks out there though which you might like. Depends how period correct you want to be too.

I don't subscribe to all this Orange bikes must have Pace forks idea, but have to agree that a pair of RC35's will be easier to find/adapt to your 1" headtube.

As for your rear wheel, are you currently running 7 or 8 speed? I have a spare rear wheel, XT m737 hub on a mavic rim.. not too sure which one as I don't have it to hand, with an 8 speed cassette. drop me a PM if your are interested. ;)

You don't need a 7-speed wheel. If you take the 7-speed cassette off the broken wheel, you can fit that to the 8/9-speed wheel that you're using or to OrangeRetro's M737, provided you fit a standard spacer inboard from the cassette. An 8/9-speed hub plus standard spacer is the same size as a 7-speed hub. That way you can continue with your current shifters.

If the rim has split and the rest of the wheel ie. hub and spokes are still ok then you dont need a new rear wheel just a new rim.
The easiest way to fix it is as follows:

Get a new rim*
Match the position of the valve and spoke holes with your old rim.
Tape the new rim next to the old one.
Slacken off all the spokes in your existing wheel. (you'll need a spoke key)
Move the spokes across onto the new rim one by one.
Re-tension the wheel in a truing stand or...
Take the newly laced wheel to your LBS for them to tension it for a small cost.

*Depending on what sort of rim you have you should be able to get one with a similar section to replace it so that your spokes are the correct length. ie Mavic 220/221/217/517/317/717 etc. all use the same length spokes give or take a mm.

Cheers for the replies... another question I'm afraid - what's a reasonable price for RC35's? Have seen some on ebay for £99 recently serviced... does this sound on the money?

Thanks again for the advice :D

Latest posts

Back