Is my frame stolen?

mattbrown

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
When i stripped the paint of this RTS, i noticed it only had 18 stampped on it, indicating the size, on closer inspection when i was building it, i noticed that there is a flat spot where i would think the serial number was. Would you say this have been filed away? i cant see any difference in the shine, but this could meen it was filed then polished a bit to blend it all in.

Attachments

• IMG_0047 [1024x768].JPG
    IMG_0047 [1024x768].JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,388
surely the iphone must have a macro feature?
if the serial had been filed off then polishing won't blend it in again, it would need painting.

EDIT: frame isn't painted, couldn't tell before. :oops:

You must suspect it is stolen for you to ask here, but how long ago was it stolen, how long have you had it, and do you know where it came from etc. If it is an old bike and there are no other identifying marks etc, it is probably best ignoring the fact and put the scape down to a rock impact. As to removing the damage, you are going to have to sand it and blend it with the background, a bit of work, but it can be done, it is up to you. Or you could hit the area with a rock to make it look like an impact. Just paint over it.

What you do is upto you.

its a 93 rts, i bought a while ago, i didnt think the guy i bought it from stole it, although the crank arms fitted where different lengths, came with some nice kit, xtr bottom bracket and headset, etc, but it had be resprayed, not to badly, but it just got me wondering.

mattbrown":37zsotcs said:
its a 93 rts, i bought a while ago, i didnt think the guy i bought it from stole it, although the crank arms fitted where different lengths, came with some nice kit, xtr bottom bracket and headset, etc, but it had be resprayed, not to badly, but it just got me wondering.

Cranks of different lengths, I wonder did he have one leg shorter than the other ?

It coming with nice kit on, is an attractive feature, could even be looked at as a selling point designed to lure those that know, but we have to be realistic about all this, most of us here buy preowned bikes and components, we buy these items in good faith. For all we know, they could be stolen bikes and parts, anything could be that is bought in private trade. Ebay for example, car boot sales, any outlet for selling, anything could be stolen property, but the offence is as far as I am aware, knowingly in receipt of stolen property, buying in good faith is not knowingly if ever the plod should take an interest.

Like I said, it is up to you what you do, but my feeling is, the plod won't be interested, if they can't identify it, not worth their time and mountain of paperwork for a case of a possible recovered stolen bike frame worth what fifty quid max.

Back