Pace RC100 - Pace stem/fork advice needed

Pace

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So I've bagged one of those Pace one piece stem steerer things for my new RC100 and need some advice about how it all fits together.

Got some RC30s - do I just take the steerer tube out and fit the stem? Doesn't look quite right when I tried that.

Anyone help me out? Pics of a set up would be great....

Thanks in advance

That's pretty much it! Take the old steerer out, ensure that the lower race shim is still in place and slide the new steerer/stem in. Now preload at the bottom in much the same way as you would preload an ahead.

Key things:

1) make sure you are using an aheadset, anyone will work although purists insist on 105 that have been reamed out
2) make sure the steerer is of the right length and that there is a gap of a few mm between the bottom of the crown and teh bottom of the steerer - think ahead system upside down (measure twice, cut once!)
3) If you have to cut the bottom off the steerer as it's too long then insert a star fangled nut to act as a preload anchor
4) if you haven't got the original washer that allows you to preload the steerer on the crown then use a large ahead stem cap (I found 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 work well dependent on the crown that you are using

Thanks - have a sneaky suspicion that my stem steerer might be too short for my frame. Any way round that or would I be stuffed?

How much 'too short' is it, a few mm or cm? If it's mm you could look at a lower stack headset, otherwise you're stuffed as you can't really safely use steerer extenders on these or have additional steerer welded on as the join would be right at the crown creating a massive weakness...

Back