Starting to dislike my bike!

mk1Matt

Retro Guru
Been riding to work over the past few days and I'm starting to really dislike the bike, despite putting a hell of a lot of effort into building it.

The bike in question is in the picture below. It's now got a shorter, steeper stem (Easton EA50) and some Scott Vertigo riser bars.

The problem is the front end. Despite the bike being disgustingly light, the front end feels really heavy. I can't bunny hop it properly, and even lifting the wheel to slowly go up a kerb takes a huge amount of effort.

Landing any kind of hop/wheelie/small jump etc makes the front wheel come down really hard, whereas with previous bikes, I've been able to land the front wheel really gently.

The only thing I can think that's doing this is the forks. They're Cannondale Ashton's, and are 400mm long. Because my frame is suspension-corrected (for 80mm), they're a bit too short. I was under the impression that all this would do is make the front end a bit twitchy (it does, but doesn't bother me).

So, what else can I do? I'm thinking about fitting some suspension on, to see if it will help. I suppose I could try a lighter front wheel, but the last bike worked fine with a Sunn Big Mammoth, which weighs a ton. The current front wheel is a DT Swiss on a specialized stout hub.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

The bike:
100_0642.jpg

i've had that sort of feeling on bikes before, i think it's due to the fork giving you the steeper head angle, although personally i don't like fatty forks either, maybe try some lightweight suspension forks, they won't add a huge amount of weight and they'd sort the head angle problem, old skool sids maybe with about 80mm of travel.

:D

Having too short a fork would also shift your weight forward as the seat angle gets steeper, also the bottom bracket will be lower. Plus when the front lands if it is twitchier it may 'wobble' more as it's more sensitive.
also if everything is very stiff and the thin slicks may make it harsher and so you get a judder through you.

Though if the bike is not balanced well under you, make the rear heavier, I notice a disk on the front but not the rear ?

Some sus forks will probably remove the feeling of a harsh front end.

Sure it's not the short steep stem and risers causing your riding position to be wrong ? Maybe the reach is to short now ?

What is it like with offroad tyres on at lower pressures ?

Other than that since it's a modern and alu frame, I can only ponder but some thign to thinnk about.

I've experienced something similar recently with suspension forks running at the wrong height i.e. too low. Made the handling sharp but didn't half kill the feel of the ride.

I'd be tempted by some 425mm (AtoC) forks like the Salsa ones on my Saracen (link below)

Or as John says above maybe some 80mm suspension forks

Also aren't those forks trials forks? :? If so would make the ride really harsh.

Just my 2 cents ;) :LOL:

Morning Matt, i'm sure i've mentioned it before but i was the original owner of that Klein. Even whilst new i found the position very long, always had trouble lifting the front wheel. it improved a bit with risers and a shorter stem. I knew it's sacrilage but was running it with an azonic shorty for the last few years of it's life, let me get more leverage on the front to bring it up. Just as an aside note, if you want to see what it looked like originally check here :

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52566

and just remind me, was that frame a large? i seem to remember it was

Can't help but feel really depressed about it.

I know the tyres aren't helping at all with the harshness of the landing, but it's the fact that I can't control how fast the wheel comes down that's the problem. The forks are very stiff as well, so it does make for a harsh ride, but that's what I'd expected really.

Average Mark - Yeah we've briefly chatted about the frame a little while ago. It's nice to know that it's come from an enthusiast. Your statement about it always feel too long makes me think that even fitting suspension to lift the front (and soften the landings) isn't going to make it feel the way I want, which is a worry! Oh yeah, pretty sure it's a large.

Currently thinking about selling it :shock:

What I really want is my old Klein Attitude back. This is a pic of it just before I sold it. Think it's a medium. This felt perfect - very solid feeling, but pretty light too. So gutted that I sold it.

Klein.jpg

Why not try the original Klein Pulse rigid fork to see if that makes a difference, There's no disc mount on them so you'd have to change your front brake.

Definately sound like an issue with fork length, the difference will put your weight more over the front making it feel harder to lift

Looks like a nice bike, would try a different fork before being hasty and selling it!

Back