Cassette Removal. and general info & help needed

POR73R

Dirt Disciple
Hi all might be a stupid question but just getting back into bikes again after a 10 year absence, and was wondering what tools i need to remove and replace my cassette, i bought a set of what can only be described as cheep budget rims about 3-4 years ago of the internet big mistake but we all learn from them, and i have decided to use these until i can afford something decent, in the past week i have bought a new frame and forks although im unsre if the travel on them is to much for the frame now after reading posts on here :? i am looking at buying a hell of a lot of other bits too brakes, stem bars etc etc. Also been looking at the cane Creek headset S8 or something like that are they any good. what can people recommend so much has changed since last time i was riding and so many new makes out there whats should i be staying away from :? There will be more insane questions to come im sure of it,

If its a normal cassette then you need a cassette remover thingy[surprise surprise] and a chain whip for starters
If its the older cassette type with the freewheel i havent a clue ,im too young for the antique stuff,a spanner of some sort? :?

If it's a freewheel you need a freewheel remover and a vice for a easy job. Pop the tool in the vice pop the wheel and block onto the splined tool and rotate the wheel anticlockwise and bobs your aunt fanny off it pop's.

Some of the Suntour cassettes, as well as early Shimano ones, need two chain whips to remove them as the smallest sprocket (the smallest 2 in the case of the Suntour MD ones) screwed on to the freehub body.

Latest posts

Back