BL***y Elastomers......

marky2484

Senior Retro Guru
Now -I kinda sense that there may be a few "economically minded " ie. tight gits ( like me ;) ) forumers. Soooooo -what have you used to make home made elastomer stacks..... thinking multiple layers of rubber sheet, cut to fit, tennis balls ? -give it to me straight, am I just a miser, or has anyone on here come up with anything usable? Find it infinitely more satisfying to come up with a DIY solution.....And yes, I do need replacement elastomers for a Proflex.....

Mark.

Iknow, I know.....looks like a great product, and a really top bloke too,,,but- recycled engine mounts, exhaust hangers, dogs rubber toys???? :oops:

McmasterCarr has urethane tube in small lengths. I bought some 1" 40durometer to use in flexstems, and they worked great.

1.25" diameter x .5" ID, 40 durometer may work well for the rear. It is part #87235K121. Price is listed at $14.26 for 6 inches. 40 durometer might work good for front.

Go to www.Mcmaster.com and type part # in search box for description.

Terry

Yup, there needs to be a "hysteresis" associated with the spring media, to provide damping. Else you just get all your energy back a second later. A tennis ball is a good example of an undamped rubber ball (with internal air spring as not atmosphere balanged forks also tend to be. Also whay steel springs don't work.

I can help maybe with elastomers for manitou comp and 3/4, but 1 and 2. .. gold dust. . . :shock:

Have you tried blowing up balloons and shoving them into the spring chamber? This will provide a cheap, adjustable and lightweight suspension medium available in a range of bright colours. They also have a highly audible failure warning. Alternatively you can get self lubricating versions of the same from your local chemist or pub toilet dispenser.

when my 96 judy's elastomers rotted, as a temporary solution i used corks from wine bottles (the rubber man made ones). Fitted perfectly but unfortunately after about ten minutes of use compressed and stayed compressed :(

Back