Giant Cadex Seatpost diameter!

captain8track

Retro Guru
started to do a "see if it fits" build today, and got a bit puzzled about what seatpost diameter fits?

I thought it was 27,2 and got a thomson post for it, but it seems to be more 29,6 or something????

re:

someone pm'ed me and said that it was like 30 something, but i'm not to sure. I'm right now in the process of shimming that thomson post with an old Use shim, some ducktape and a beer can... or I might go paint another post with some setback black! but the thomson is lighter but I'm afraid it will be to cramped with no setback...

I would seriously reconsider using makeshift shims on this frame - the seatclamp is built into the top of the seat tube, right? If you get it in any way wrong, that clamp is going to fail.
If you haven't got access to vernier calipers to accurately measure the internal diameter, take it to a bike shop who have some and get them to measure it. ;)

Difficult to measure even with expensive digital calipers ,only the top is the diameter you need ,the seattube opens out as you move down the tube then it narrow's again as you get towards the bottom:roll:
I think the makers should stamp the seatpost size on the bottom bracket,its the only measurement that's hard to work out.
-------------------------------------------
A good way would be to have access to a bunch of different sized posts,a shop wont do this for you as it will damage any new one they try
Ask them if you can check the bikes they're repairing, seatposts they use, to gauge your own as they are already damaged[scratched]
Took me months to find out my torus is exactly 30mm ,not the 29.4/something it measured at

Back