Have we killed RetroBike?

BoyBurning

Karma King
Bontrager Fan
We now have a split age group for bikes on our forum.

In many ways I agree with the decisions made.

Like others on here I got tired of turning to the reader's bikes section to find a proliferation of pants.

I used to relish tapping the 'Readers Bikes' link to find a new, beautifully built bike, completely in-keeping with my unwritten version of 'retro'.

No one had told me what a retro bike was. I just knew. I knew what it meant to me and adjusted my thoughts to meet the values of others whose definition I hadn't been made aware of.

Through this process I've come across many bikes, comps, riders, events, races, differences-between-countries that I would never have even thought about before stumbling on this site.

That to me is what RetroBike is all about.

People should use common sense and a bit of bloody intuition.

It should be obvious what a 'retrobike' is without having dozens of threads, and hundreds of attempts at explaining it.

The split-of-years-bikes in essence makes complete sense to me.

As the site grows (isn't the whole idea of having a stand at races, and rejoicing at being featured in mags, about trying to attract new members?) we will undoubtedly entice members who wouldn't 'naturally' find us.

I found the site because I was 'looking' for people who praised the 'old' bikes in the same way as I do.

I consider myself very privileged that someone had the foresight to set the bloody thing up so that I had an outlet for my introverted feelings.

Anyway.

Through this process of actively 'seeking' members we will (and have) undoubtedly come across people whose natural persuasion may not be 'retro'.

Instead, it may be an article in a magazine, the topic of which seems a little cool, and PC-like (as in the current back-in-yer-face retaliation from Microsoft against an horrendously bad advert from Apple - I thought these times had disappeared with the dismissal of John Sculley?) which has caught the eye of people wanting to be 'in' with the latest fad of grabbin dads bike from the garage and posting pics of it all over here without a bloody clue as to its insignificance.

Have we killed retrobike?

The whole idea of anything retro is that it is of a period. After a while therefore, anything worth saying or discussing will be said. It can't go on forever with any 'real' meaning - despite what the sixties and the modern media might tell us.

After a while all the same old topics will be rehashed to such an extent that the original 'feeling' has long since past and the inevitable 'neo-retro bike' website will arise.

The whole point of typing:

If we have to question the virtues and merit of bikes posted under 'Readers Bikes' - and I agree something had to be done - then please also stop posts in the 'Retro MTB Chat' like:

• What contemporary value of 'retro'?

• What makes a Retrobiker?

• What was your SECOND mountain bike?

(and these are just from the first page, before I got bored and couldn't be arsed to read anymore).

As soon as we start asking these sort of questions, the whole purpose of the site (for me) is lost and we may as well start a pool of info for the new 'Neo-retrobike' website.

just get it off your chest mate !!! :LOL:
but no i dont think we have killed retrobike..... its just changing and growing. ;)

oh and personally.... im only going to click on the pre 97 forum button..... i will very very rarely ever click on the post 98..... as by definition they are modern bikes ;)

Im new here and my definition of retro is not like others.

Bikes circa 98 are my idea of 'retro', as i yearned for the top level bikes when i was at school, which i now have and can afford.

One mans retro is anothers too new, so the new section on readers bikes is fine for me, as i know where i can get my kicks from, so to speak.

There is my 10p...

Ta!

i don't think we have killed anything. i have read the recent threads regarding which bike is considered retro or not and have also read the what is retro type threads. i usually stay out of those discussions because alot of it is subjective and relavant to the time you grew up or when you started biking or just what stuff you like and i don't really mind if someone considers their stuff retro when i don't think it is, it's their opinion on their stuff after all.

suppose it's a middle of the road attitude, live and let live so to speak. :D bugger that sounds so daily mail! :LOL:

i have also noticed that the mods are trying to push the site back towards older (retro if you will :LOL: ) bikes and topics and i think that is right, this is retrobike after all. the moving of certain threads in various sections to "general and off topic" is right i think, as john said in another thread it is what distinguishes us from other cycling forums.

i think (and this is a compliment to all forum members here) that we have a good community and as a result people who aren't neccasarily into the retro stuff post on here because it's simply a good forum, so by default we have some modernist interest, and lets face it nearly all of us have several bikes old and new (although my modern choices seem to have a old skool influence!)

i not trying to argue or massively change someonelses opinion but back to the original question . . . no, definately not, retrobike, i think is alive and kicking! :D :D :D

so there!! :LOL: :D

just noticed that last post was my 1000th!!! :D :LOL:

oh and for the record i do agree with most of what you said in the first post just not the killing thing!!

besides, if we killed retrobike i'd be like richard gere in officer and a gentlman . . . . I'VE GOT NO PLACE ELSE TO GOOOO!!!!!!!

:LOL:

R.I.P. RB.

To have known it was to have loved it. To have loved it was to have...

As long as we don't split by rider age... I would be relegated to the old fart thread. :LOL:

just noticed that last post was my 1000th!!!

A threshold moment, step through. Light me Johnny Boy... Congrats mate! :cool:

My opinion is going to be different to others ovioulsy but the word retro being connected to cycling kind of snook up on me,i like many of you were around in the late eighties and early nineties and maybe because i was tight i never eally seemed to have to change anything on my bike,M900 bullseye hubs sedis chains never wore out and after a few years i felt ashamed of what i was riding( monster fat chance).

BUt after it broke and was trying to flog the frame i was directed here, to you lot and i discovered other people like me who didnt really like all this modern stuff.

So to me retro is what i remember working as a bike mechanic from 91 to 98,nothing after but it will in ten years time
Because then, some will say an 08 bike to some will be retro ours will just be old ,so i think retro will live on and on but will continue to expand and expand,but my mind retro will always be in the early ninties sittin at malvens watchin people crash through the bomb hole

I guess retro could be '98? Classic would be in the sweet spot of MTB history/NORBA... 85 to 95? Heck it's hard to pin down. I just picked up a 98 Ibis Mojo and I'm wondering if I have sold out. Wondering if I would be found out if I went with the 94 downtube decals, and maybe switch out that Sonoma chainstay decal for a Sebastopol when I have it refinished... :?

I like the new split. Let's me dip my foot into both "worlds." I know sometimes, before, I would scan down the list and pass up a lot of probably pretty cool rides just because of the year or model. This way I can digg the old skool stuff, and occasionally take a walk on the newer wild side.

Readers rides will no longer be such a box of chocolates.

see, that's just it, in 10 years time etc! 08 bikes will be retro and ours will be vintage!! :LOL:

i reckon john has already registered "vintagebikes" and "oldbikes" and "thatbeateryouforgotaboutthatisrustingaway" dot whatever! :LOL: that way we can change forum as we and our steeds get older! :D

1003! thanks hairstream! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back