Tough job stripping paint

Surfr

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've been out in the man cave desperately trying to take the paint off of a thirty year old steel frame and it's being an absolute pig!

I'm on the 3rd coat of nitromors and I'm layering it on thick yet almost nothing seems to come off when I return after 20 minutes to scrub it off.

I'm applying it thick, leaving for 20+ mins, returning and scrubbing with wire brush and wire wool. What am I doing wrong? Should I leave it on for over an hour? the instructions say not to let it dry on though. I really want to get a few coats of primer on by tonight so any help appreciated.

definately dont let it dry. looks like the paint is resilient. is the surface really shiney? try giving it a quick rub down with some (wet) wet n dry around a 240 grit then try nitromors again. if that fails your best bet is to just rub it down to bare metat by hand.

I wouldn't say it was shiny. Especially as I've been scrubbing at it with stiff wire brushes and wire wool! Nope, It is just stupidly stubborn.

After putting nitromors on frame and leaving 20 mins, I usually use a metal scraper which it will take the paint off, and then use wirewool after dabbing with nitromors on frame for smooth finish, no need to use wet/dry sandpapers.

good luck

I had a specialized frame that would not strip its paint using that nitromars stuff. :?
I ended up getting the oxy-acetylene torch on the frame, heating it up and basically burning the paint off.
It worked great, but care must be taken not to melt the frame! :shock:

Latest posts

Back