stripped hanger

Anthony

Retrobike Rider
Has anybody ever had a stripped hanger (steel) repaired by the ream and sleeve method, and did it work?

Argos Cycles will do it for £30 under their 'braze-on parts' menu, so do they literally braze a sleeve into the reamed-out hanger and then cut a new thread into the sleeve?

i dont know £8 isnt going to break the bank :LOL:

but it is just a threaded top hat washer :?

sounds like the frame is asking to be a singlespeed

kaiser":1m9szakd said:
http://www.betd.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=144&Name=Frame+Savers+and+Fixing+for+Dropout/Hangers
bit pricier than I thought but the only special thing I can see about that drill is that the shank has been machined down to fit in a jacobs chuck.
Right, so no brazing there - nothing to hold it in place other than the tightness of the derailleur bolt and a spanner holding the lip on the far side? And I guess every time you pull cable you tighten it up a bit more?

Anthony":lvqditde said:
kaiser":lvqditde said:
http://www.betd.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=144&Name=Frame+Savers+and+Fixing+for+Dropout/Hangers
bit pricier than I thought but the only special thing I can see about that drill is that the shank has been machined down to fit in a jacobs chuck.
Right, so no brazing there - nothing to hold it in place other than the tightness of the derailleur bolt and a spanner holding the lip on the far side? And I guess every time you pull cable you tighten it up a bit more?

I have one on my yeti and it works fine . tintin has done the same on one of his trimble .
it is an expensive bolt at £8 ( plus delivery ) , but it does save your frame .

Anthony":1xqae28x said:
kaiser":1xqae28x said:

Not sure I follow :? Do you mean when the derailleur is in operation? If so it pivots on the bolt not with the bolt. Once fitted it should'nt need any retightening and won't be effected by normal operation.

kaiser":25wii2ly said:
Anthony":25wii2ly said:
Not sure I follow :? Do you mean when the derailleur is in operation? If so it pivots on the bolt not with the bolt. Once fitted it should'nt need any retightening and won't be effected by normal operation.
Yes, point taken, but I'm trying to persuade a doubter and I was just thinking that sometimes things held just by the thread of a bolt can shake themselves loose - but even a pedal which turns freely is tightened a tiny bit by the revolving forces, and that's why they have opposite threads each side. Maybe there's something simlar here that does more good than harm to the tightness?

"even a pedal which turns freely is tightened a tiny bit by the revolving forces"

by that same theory the left hand side cones on open bearing hubs would always unwind

Yes, point taken, but I'm trying to persuade a doubter and I was just thinking that sometimes things held just by the thread of a bolt can shake themselves loose - but even a pedal which turns freely is tightened a tiny bit by the revolving forces, and that's why they have opposite threads each side. Maybe there's something simlar here that does more good than harm to the tightness?

Well, if you were that bothered about it you could always epoxy the repair nut in place I suppose, although I couldn't ever envisage it coming loose anyway, well no more than any other nut/bolt assy. which is what you effectively have.

Back