For and aft movement of fork sliders.

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
I have 2 sets of elastomer sprung balistic 451 forks that bare a close resemblance to manitous of the past ie bolted together and a bit angular looking. One set is complete the other is for parts.

There is a small amount of play for and aft between the fork leg seals and the sliders, noticeable when braking.

Is this likely to be detrimental to the forks in the long run or is it normal for older designs of forks. In discussion with Clockworkgazz about retro suspension he mentioned he was not happy about this feature of older forks which makes me wonder if this is a known and accepted problem or have we both just met with damaged/worn forks ?

Hopefully its not an issue as I like the simplicity and look of these forks.

Cheers

Lots of slop isn't normal. I'm not familiar at all with the inards of Balistic forks, so I couldn't tell you if there are replaceable bushings in there, ala Mag21, and either way, you'd probably never find the parts anyway. I doubt its unsafe, but the play will accelerate wear of other fork internals and you start the slippery slope...

Of course, fore and aft flex is what gave early forks their travel! I used to joke about my 'long travel' Manitou 4 having 5 total inches of travel...1.5 vertical and 3.5 front to back! :shock:

If it's only a bit of play i would'nt have thought you'd do any damage to the stanctions (sp ?), only if it was so bad that the bushes were worn through and the stanction was making contact with the slider, the forks would be unrideable if they were that worn though.

Is the play in the forks there all the way through their travel or only when they are fully extended ?, have a bit of play in my long travel Marzocchis but it's only when the forks are fully extended, the forks are tuned with about an inch of sag when i'm on the bike where there is no play so i can live with that.

If you can live with the movement when braking i'd just use them, or maybe Manitou bushings would fit or could be made to fit ?

velomaniac":1fwuqamy said:
Is this likely to be detrimental to the forks in the long run

or is it normal for older designs of forks.

yes & yes
original marzoke Z1s onwards where about the first forks to seriously address the bushing/ overlap issue.

Back