Custom or Concours?

doctor-bond

Feature Bike
I've been mulling on different types of build: evolution bikes; concours bikes; custom bikes.

Evolution. My main machine has been with me for years and reflects whatever I'm into at the time. The components have worn out and been replaced or discarded. Its been a tourer, an XC hack, a commuter, a singlespeed fashion statement and is now a bit of a Heinz 57. Doesn't matter: it's my bike and it will probably be different next week.

Concours. On these you have sleepless nights about deviating from the brochure specification. These are both the hardest and easiest builds: you know what needs to go together, you just have to source it. Think Tomac replica Queens.

Custom. An area I'm less familiar with. One way to go is period flavour and enhance the stock build. Kaiser's Stumpie is a fab example.

Or, how about a controlled statement like the 700c 5 spoke beastie in the Autumn POTM.

There are lots of other variations, but what's your poison?

:D

I make it up as I go along, mix and match.....say one part Vivienne Westwood and another part vintage with a further part from Primark....if you have the knack it will fit together perfectly!

I know these are fashion terms but you get the drift surely?

These are both the hardest and easiest builds: you know what needs to go together, you just have to source it.

Never a truer word, just need a stupid bloody Q/R Seat Bolt to finish mine and can I find one :(
These are the builds that will send you mad, especially when you just miss that bit you want.

No more for me and custom from now on, not even worried about the right year, just going to go with what i like. The other good bit is these are never finished unlike the back to brochure ones

Which ever you choose,enjoy :)

scratch what I said!!

Evolution for me and then concours.

I would love to build some of the lovelies on here but I wouldnt dare ride it...

First and foremost......Just take what you have and then change it to what ever you are into at the time

Doc: thanks for really neatly splitting things up. Good job.

I'm in the Evo camp, but would also want to avoid howlers like 4 arm chainsets etc. So I run modern rear mechs in a 7 speed thumbie system etc.

It's a bit like putting modern Minilite-pattern wheels on an Alfasud; looks OK but not technically right - but I wouldn't dream of putting ultralow profile tyres or blingy rims on.

Custom is my bag! Although i do like to keep technology down to a minimum.
The mix 'n' match parts road is what i have always done, i think it keeps things interesting.

The idea that we all have a massive pool of frames/forks and components to draw from going back 30 years is something i think we should all be grateful for.

The reason our hobby/sport came to be, was the very fact that the pioneers back in the day customized and recycled parts to fit their requirments, and not just copy others.
There are one or two exceptions to that,i am naming no names! ;)

Cheers,Al :D

ps hamster, The mrs wants to take the minilites off her Alfa and track some stock rims down.

Evolution - my GT has been with me for years - its had drops, 9 spd, 7sp, 8 spd, suspension, cantis, V's, disks, mudguards, back racks.

Now it sits quietly in semi retirment with as near as dammit parts from when it was new.

i hope these pidgeon boxes dont stick!

my fire mountain was an evolution bike. started stock, spent loads on it in 96/97 t5hen rode it and replaced bots as they wore out. went through many changes. this year has seen a complete tear down and a custom build but i am trying to keep it period(ish). the next build is going to be thrown together from all the leftovers

Whatever takes my fancy, as long as its retro components from the 90's era and they work :LOL:

Stuff like Pauls mechs dont take my fancy. Yea, they look 'wow', but I'd rather have an LX/DX/XT or XTR mech that gets the job done........and I owuld have to remortgage the house or sell the kids to finance a new one! ;)

As for 'stock' builds, yes they are nice, and are a true salute to all things retro, but I havent the patience to source all the bits. If I get a bike, it has to be built straight away. So, I use whats available at the time to get it rolling, then change/upgrade bits on the way. As long as it looks ok and works, thats fine by me.

Back