Klein Attitude Paint

Gringo

Retro Newbie
Hi. Great forum! I’m the proud owner of a Klein Attitude, a green/white/magenta pre-Trek model I had since new in 1990. It’s a great bike but recently I’ve noticed the paint form blisters around the top of the forks and around the bottom bracket. I’d like reassurance that the strength of the bike is not compromised although I think it’s just cosmetic damage. I also would like the paint restored back to how it should be. The bike has a sealed headset that I guess could cause some problems if separation is required. Does anyone have experience of anything similar or any advice on how to get to the next stage? Thanks. :?:

The blisters in the paint is caused by the alloy oxidising (alloy equivilent of rust), the oxidisation will only be on the surface of the alloy under the paint and should not compromise tha strength of the frame, only way to treat it proberly is to strip the areas or the whole bike back to alloy and repaint it.

I dont know a huge amount about Kleins but i think special tools are needed to get the front end appart though these can be fabricated, there are some Klein experts on here though who will be happy to advise ;)

Yep, headset is biggest problem.

It has pressfit bearings with glue.
It is possible to just hit fork away, but be careful and use some wood that does´t hurt fork.
Much better way is to find LBS who still have right tools to do it.

I´v done it couple times...
puhdas.jpg

Installing is easy with this...and freezerator
tools.jpg

Im currently painting some Team Kleins things at the moment...3 forks 2 MC1's and some frames...
Maybe I can help you out?
Heres some of my work.....
Box fork is original...
DSC02933.jpg

Again frame and 'box' fork original the other forks and MC1 my version.
DSC02917.jpg

J

jonrock":2b70j6bs said:
The 'box' fork is squared off at the top...
ie the one the right
J

Ok thanks....always been curious. So the Strata is the 'unicrown'/curved version on the left?

I think the curved is the Unicrown the Strata is the Adroit verion with larger holes in the bottom and has Boron in them... :roll:
Carsten will know..
J

Jonrock,

The paintwork looks great. Maybe you can help me? Have you got an idea what you would charge for a full strip, prep, paint and add decals, frame & forks?

Back