Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:38 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:16 am 
Retro Guru

Hi all,

I've got a couple of older mtb bikes which have chrome parts that have some surface corrosion. Such as headset races, pedals, bars & rims. Im aware of good old coca-cola with tin foil rubbing gets quite good results. Are there other methods? and if I wanted the parts to be rechromed professionally who would you recommend? to ge ta perfect finish.

Cheers
James

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:09 pm 
Retro Guru

This guy is doing some cracking work on his chrome at the moment there could be some tips there

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=415940

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:20 pm 
BoTM | rBoTM | rider
BoTM | rBoTM | rider

Jam_SWorks wrote:
Hi all,

I've got a couple of older mtb bikes which have chrome parts that have some surface corrosion. Such as headset races, pedals, bars & rims. Im aware of good old coca-cola with tin foil rubbing gets quite good results. Are there other methods? and if I wanted the parts to be rechromed professionally who would you recommend? to ge ta perfect finish.

Cheers
James

Hello James,
My favourite product is Evaporust, it works well on many materials, there are stronger rust converters/removers out there but beware, some are very strong and can damage plating as well as other metals.
As for re-chroming, I would suggest the most important thing is to go and actually speak to one and discus your requirements, this will help with keeping to your budget and also managing your expectations.
If you just get an online quote, you will pay through the nose and get what you are given, and you can’t rely on other peoples experiences as each piece of work will be different.
For example I took some rare British steel road rims from the 40’s into my local guy https://www.allenchrome.co.uk/ and discussed the fact that if he spent hours & hours eradicating every tiny pit in the metal left behind after the rust was removed, the labour charge would go through the roof and would risk going through the thin material. So we agreed on how long he should spend on pre-finishing before plating so that I knew what I was spending and also knew I would likely still see a bit of “history”