Ebay Etiquette

JustKev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
I had a few things for sale on ebay last week.

I'm pretty careful with ebay nowadays and researched my costs for postage. I think my listing was pretty clear too

International bidders should contact me first for a quote or accept my costs.

So now somebody has won two of my auctions and is questioning the postage rates :roll:

Do I research them further and maybe cut them by £1 or 2 or stick to my quoted costs?

Oh, and if the buyer is member here please PM me.

Stick to your guns.

I read your tyres advert and it was clear.

Some people thinnk by shouting the will get a few quid off :roll:

personally if the cost is quoted when you click to bid/buy, it should be taken that the buyer agrees to the total cost.

I wouldnt budge, infact further researching would take more of my time and if I were to charge at my hourly rate thats an additional cost they really wouldnt want to incur.

JeRkY":39w3q4z7 said:
I wouldnt budge, infact further researching would take more of my time and if I were to charge at my hourly rate thats an additional cost they really wouldnt want to incur.

Yeah, maybe I should put the cost up for wasting my time already :LOL:

Personally I think there is no etiquette on Ebay. You list something honestly and some arsehole comes along and tries to argue with you threatens to give -ve feedback if you don't comply

Postage is a tricky one...

As a seller my post office gets pretty fed up with doing loads of quotes but I dont believe on making money out of postage or getting grief from people for over pricing so thats a no win situation

As a buyer I get really REALLY annoyed for paying way over the top for postage but at the end of the day you cant really complain if its there in black and white on the auction and you agree to it??

daj":15ioz5tb said:
As a buyer I get really REALLY annoyed for paying way over the top for postage but at the end of the day you cant really complain if its there in black and white on the auction and you agree to it??

Whether the cost is excessive or not, I only quoted as per Parcel2Go website for DHL standard international delivery.

I didn't include cost of packaging or my time like some sellers :evil:

I have to say that £40 is way high for 2 foldable tyres and you should definitely be able to ship them for cheaper (Royal Mail?). And no, I wasn't a winner for any of Kev's items.

Still, the most irritating thing is to pay for that kind of postage fees and then see the post office stamp/sticker with something like £10 on it.

Many Yanks on eBay seem to rip off buyers from abroad but sadly we Europeans do that as well. I try to always give as correct shipping costs with the cheapest possible option. If my estimate has been too high, I refund the buyer for the excess amount. Sometimes I also list more expensive (and faster) options as well so that the buyer can opt for his favoured one.
I also find charging for S&H very annoying. I mean, if you're willing to sell something on eBay and if you're willing to ship that item, you should also be ready to spend some time to pack it up and take that package to the local post office. And not rip the buyer off for doing that.

I always state on my listings that If postage is cheaper than listed I will refund the difference, I hate paying over the odds for postage and certainly dont agree with making bucks on the postage. I pride myself on a good service and ensure all packaging is OTT. So all I charge is what Royal Mail charge to deliver. Jiffy bags ,bubble wrap and time is all part of my service.

I seem to get fairly good prices for my items and would imagine that having postage at cost will force bidders to put down a good price for the item :LOL:

Back