Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:01 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:29 pm 
Retro Guru

The size of the wheels dictates the whole geometry of the bike- length of chainstay is somewhat variable, according to how you like your weight distributed, but a bike where there's no toe clearance when steering is an accident waiting to happen.. As is a too-low bottom bracket.. So you couldn't offer the same model with optional wheel size without a thorough redesigning..

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:42 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

There is a growing market for posh children's mountain bikes, maybe 26" lives on in this niche?

SP

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:07 am 
Retro Guru

There's a lot to be said for 26" wheels. I like how easier it is to store my 26" bikes, or take it on the trains here where the bike compartment isn't big enough for a 29er. I also like to be different (or eccentric or mental) when I do MTB marathons on 26" wheels, since almost everyone now believes 29ers and 650b are so much faster than 26" (not true). Yes, depending on the terrain a larger wheel can be slightly faster, but it's barely significant and at the few per cent level, not the tens of percent that seems to be implied by some of the marketing. For riders who are really worried about being a few percent faster, there are several cheap ways to become faster (tyre choice, tubeless, barends etc.).

At low-ish price levels, you can build a better (and faster) 26" MTB for the same money, compared to a 29er or 650b.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:39 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Difference between a 26 and 27.5 is 3/4" or 18mm.

29" I can understand as it would naturally roll over obstacles better, but 26 or 27.5 i see so little difference I cant see how it would improve anything.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:44 am 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

dyna-ti wrote:

29" I can understand as it would naturally roll over obstacles better, but 26 or 27.5 i see so little difference I cant see how it would improve anything.

agree totally. it's a pointless new addition.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:04 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

dyna-ti wrote:

Totally disagree. Have had 26”, 27.5” and 29”. The difference between each size was noticeable to the point where I wouldn’t consider a 26” bike as my main rider now.

Whether the difference is seen as a positive or negative is down to the individual but to say there’s little difference is wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:27 pm 
Retro Guru

Wheel size is only a part of how a bike feels- there's the frame and fork geometry, suspension tuning (if fitted!) and the material used for the frame.. So it's impossible to make direct comparisons. But it is surely a personal choice, largely based on what kind of cycling you do, how important comfort and/or speed is to you, etc etc. And, indeed, how tall, and how heavy (and old!) you happen to be- I'm skinny and 5' 11", and my 26" bikes feel great to me- but someone a lot taller and heavier might well feel better on a 29er..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:55 pm 
Retro Guru

As long as they stay round, they're all good :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:12 pm 
Retro Guru

A while ago I actually turned on the TV and saw the Woman's WC XC championship. Tiny frames with like a 3" headtube,
riser bars about 700cm wide, and 29er with 2.5" tyres. I felt sick to the stomach just watching them, and
got me thinking the departure from 26" has now reached stupid levels. No sense of physical proportion; the bike
simply overwhelmed. At least on the woman's DH it appeared there were some 26" so somebody must have had
the head screwed on right.

My own gripe is getting good 26" tyres no more than 2.0" wide.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:32 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Woz wrote:

My own gripe is getting good 26" tyres no more than 2.0" wide.

with you on that. Have to settle on Conti 2.2

[mdvineng]
Post subject: Re: Is there any future at all for the 26 wheel? Reply with quote
As long as they stay round, they're all good :D[/quote]

Agree. I'm doing my best to keep it going. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next