What the hell is this frame?!

BoyBurning

Karma King
Bontrager Fan
It's a Trek of some description.

Has disc as well v mounts, wishbone rear and snake stays, top routed cables, aluminium frame, gussets, and...

...a triangular section down tube...?!

Any ideas as I'm stumped!

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 652
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 652
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 652
  • 06.JPG
    06.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 652
  • 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 652
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 652
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 652
Are you sure it's a Trek? The paintwork doesn't look good enough to me. My guess is a vanilla Taiwanese alu frame. Any numbers?

Its a Trek 7000 ZX, with a lot of Bontrager influence.

Re:

@hamster: Have to admit that was my first thought, as the paint really is crap quality. Possibly a cheap respray, with generic Trek decals.

@sinnerman: Again, a thought I've had. But, there's a few details that aren't quite right from what I've seen of the ZX frames. However, they're not frames I know anything about - can you be more specific about year, or is it just a hunch?

Re:

all the details seemed right to me on first look, i could be wrong, but they looked like Trek dropout to me. and they did have round down tube early 2000 models, which did change to more triangle as the model progressed, the same with the monostay bend too, early models didnt have them, the later models did.

The colour suggests it too, but i guess i could be wrong. For me to be sure, it would come down to disc mount which i cant make out in your pic

Attachments

• p5pb11651877.jpg
    p5pb11651877.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 553
  • p5pb11651880.jpg
    p5pb11651880.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 553
Re:

Thanks - I'll get some pics tomorrow of the stays, and better ones in general. The ones posted were just some quick crappy ones I took to remind me to ask the questions.

Interesting from your photos, is that whilst the stays are very different, the colour is pretty similar...

Which [and this is a big assumption on my part] if the paint on my frame is original is pretty damning on Trek I'd say - it really is poor quality with little prep before paint it would seem...

If you look real hard, there are some real differences throughout, some of the stays are welded, some are flattened, some have a s-seat stays some dont. the colour is similar, but again i wouldnt base the definitive answer on paint. Even looking at the dropouts, they are not exact now i have been able to find better pics, but is this again could be a model year change, or not.

Paint wise, they did go through a shocking point in Early 2000s, and not just with painted aluminium on Klein's either, it always felt if you looked at them too long the paint would disappear in front of your eyes. (look at the state of the factory paint below, especially around the drop out.- Although they are built to hit a price point, and whilst handwelded they are still mass produced production.

For me it will be the disc tab placement, and only then i would still only be 98%. if its on the seat stay its a blinking good knock off imho.

Attachments

• p5pb11651882.jpg
    p5pb11651882.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 533
Re:

Just enlarging your first pic, and it does have a seat stay Disc tab, so unless its later than my time, i think its a pretty good knock off.

Shame as i thought we had solved it then.

Attachments

• 03 (2).jpg
    03 (2).jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 527
Re:

Disc tab defo on the seat stays...

I'm leaning on a cheopo generic frame, repainted and new decals at some point.

The paint by the way - it's not that it's poor quality as such in terms of durability, more that there was very poor prep. It's dimpled and thick / thin in places.

Reminds me of the shitty paint Mercedes cars used to have in late 90s early 00s - very egg shelly...

Leaning even more towards a respray I think - possibly a home shed respray at that!

Attachments

• Disc tabs.png
    Disc tabs.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 527
Back