Too big frame

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Having just done a deal on a 21" C16R I'm now wondering what I'll do with it...

Both my off-road bikes are 19" Oranges. It seems to be a perfect size for xc riding. But seeing as I don't really need 2 racy XC bikes I was toying with the idea of setting one up as a kind of roughstuff tourer.

My current commuter/tourer is a late 80s 21" Dawes - too big in MTB terms, but comfy for road use. If anything it works better than the 19" Rockhopper I was using before, which ended up with a ridiculously long steerer and seatpost for an upright position. With drop bars it was quite an odd-riding thing all things considered.

When I used to ride 27" or 700c wheeled road bikes I usually looked for a 23" frame. With long legs and a relatively short torso I often had to use a shorter stem, but otherwise that always seemed the perfect size.

So what do you reckon? It's probably a lighter, livelier frame than the Dawes... maybe the perfect size for a go-anywhere tourer/commuter?

Or maybe I should just rob the useful bits and sell the frame on to a giant retrobiker?

I think 21" is the correct size for me too on these though I always ended up sizing down. Give it a go. they are taller rather than being super long, with a less long stem it should be nice!

bluetomgold":2ghtj2f4 said:
reanimation":2ghtj2f4 said:
Give it a go.

Only answer really, isn't it? :)

Yeah sounds like your fit is same as me. People use the P7 as a tourer and commuter etc so sounds good. try a 100mm stem or nearest thing and see. It'll be nice and compact at the back still so should still be fun to ride.

I ride a Marin that's oversize as a 26" wheeled tough tourer with drops. See if you can get the fit to work.

I'd be interested in the frame. What year :)

I had one for years and found it fitted well.

Try some silly bars if it's a too large frame. Many of them shorten the reach quite effectively.

Thanks guys, some sensible advice and an offer to buy - what more could I ask?

I'll ride it round a bit before deciding what to do with it. :D

Latest posts

Back