How good are Raleigh m-trax frames?

Mark Manley

Raleigh Fan
I have been keeping an eye on ebay for a smaller size Raleigh m-trax frame or complete bike for a project I have in mind but have just read a rather scathing review of them from someone who had one from new. They said that they were very flexible and not at all nice to ride, what is the experience of others who have owned and ridden them and if they are that bad would something like a Raleigh rsp 600 be a better option?

Re:

The only way to know for sure yourself is to ride one :D
I've had one of the steel M-Trax and also a Dyna-Tech, the M-Trax was a decent enough bike, although nothing "special" in my experience. The Dyna-Tech was pretty good though, there's still a little bit of me which regrets selling that.
I've heard they can be a bit flexy, but I never noticed that.

If you do get one then you should be able to at least get your money back at a later date if you don't get on with it, but I wouldn't form an opinion on the brand just based on one review.

Hi

The internet is full of bad reviews, not many bother writing a review when sonething if ok! Would you not eat something because someone else didnt like it? Like above, only you can decide if its right for you, every one is different.

My experience with M-Trax was on a 1000 with K2 tubes mixed with normal hi tens steel. Great bike and i still look for them now and again despite owning other more exotic type bikes since. Best thing for me was the fit, again, a personall choice.

The other thing is which M-Trax are you refering to? there are lots of different models made with different materials. The one i had was pretty much the bottom of the range at the time but rode fine, compared to the Kilauea i had it didnt flex at all!!

Mark

Re:

Thanks for your replies, yes I think I will keep looking for a suitable frame or bike rather than allow one bad review to put me off.
I rather like the look of them and fancy building an everyday ride to work bike from a British made frame, I am not that familiar with the different models and it is more of a case of do I like the look of it and is it the right size and price.

CTK":489vex17 said:
Some good, some bad, some ugli.

Ahh.... I see what you did there ;)

For a ride to work bike an M-Trax would be great, you'd be unlikely to be taking it out of its comfort zone (unless you're built like Dwayne Johnson, or work atop an Alpine peak :LOL:).

I bought a new M Trax Ti 2000 in 1994. I used it 'til early 1997 when I got my first full sus.
It was skippy over repeated bumps but I don't recall it being flexy.
I used it as a winter bike a little in the next winter and the Ti tube pulled out by the bottom bracket. No problem, it came with a 15 year guarantee. Raleigh told me they weren't honouring the warranty because they'd "had too many back". I was told that the warranty ensured that they could always refuse because you had to fit identical replacement components, even brake blocks.
It put me right off Raleigh.
I replaced the frame with a no name aluminium frame with snake seat and chain stays. It gave a vastly better ride and always felt >>>>FAST>>>>>.

Mark Manley":2ebkeusm said:
I have been keeping an eye on ebay for a smaller size Raleigh m-trax frame or complete bike for a project I have in mind but have just read a rather scathing review of them from someone who had one from new. They said that they were very flexible and not at all nice to ride, what is the experience of others who have owned and ridden them and if they are that bad would something like a Raleigh rsp 600 be a better option?

Mark, my friend here in Nottingham is selling his green 1995 M-Trax (all virtually factory spec), it's also small-ish at around 16" frame. I don't think he wants a lot for it, if interested drop me a PM and we can discuss...

Tom

Re:

A few years back I was talking to a guy who distributed Raleigh and he said that the M Trax name was a disaster for Raleigh.He said the problem was when M Trax were first introduced they were at the very cheaper end of the market,Raleigh made the fatal flaw and subsequently called the entire range M Trax even the flagship ones at a time when people associated M Trax with cheaper models.That aside,I found the M Trax frames,even the low end ones,were excellent.Raleigh were really on top of their game then.The UGLI forks they were usually specced with were spot on too.

Back