Frame protection

Twister

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Does/has anyone here used heli-tape or similar to protect frames/decals?

If so, how effective was it, and do you have any useful tips?

Thanks
Matt

Re:

It depends on how far you want to go. I've used carbon/leather style protection which can look great and works well for stone chips and cable rub. It can look crawl if it covers decals but good for contoured areas. Heli tape is good if you want to cover large areas but not mess with the clean look of your frame/decals. Some yellow over time, some are thin and pointless, others are thick and protective but harder to use in areas with welds, curves etc.

In my experience a combination works well I.e. thick stuff on downtubes and areas that need the most protection, thinner stuff for contours and areas prone to cable rub.

I use invisiframe kits on my modern bikes and ended up adapting a road bike generic kit for my Roberts. You do pay a bit ore for invisiframe but it's top quality in terms of installation and longevity with no yellowness. It is also very clear and you have to look very closely to see it's on the frame if you install it well.

Re:

I use helitape. Must be pretty invisible as no one has ever noticed it!.
Good at stopping scratched and scuffs. "ok" on crank heel wear but eventually you go through (Crankskins are one possible solution here).
Have clean hands. Nothing looks worse than a black thumbprint immortalised over white.

Back