Lack of manners? Paranoia? or something more sinister?

Takingabreak

Dave Yates Fan
Feedback
View
Moderators, I wasn't sure where to put this so please move if required, I've dropped it into a forum that is quite popular.

I have a bike listed for sale on retrobike, I've had four people potentially interested and ask for photos. Two responded with, thanks but not quite what I'm looking for, the other two didn't respond at all.

This got me wondering...... bit of a small sample size but are 50% of people lacking in basic manners or, and this is where I'm thinking I might be paranoid, do some people ask for photos in the hope that the location is contained in the photo information and they can pop round under the cover of darkness and pick the bike up for free?

:shock:

Re:

I don't think it is anything that sinister, just as you say a basic lack of manners, I am guilty myself of this sometimes. When I first started I replied studiously to every enquiry or post, but as time went on and laziness set in I probably now do about 50% which would back your numbers up nicely. Sorry to all the folks I have not replied to in the past :oops:

Re:

I agree that it's just a lack of manners. My own particular bugbear is when you've sent someone an item and they don't message you to say they've received it.
No big deal in the grand scheme of things but irritating none the less.
Kes

I've sold several bikes locally on Craigslist. That happens all the time. Don't take it personally. Some are mildly interested. Others just have busy lives and will get back to you in time. Some people want to act like they are less interested than they are to negotiate a lower price.

Re:

So I shouldn't be concerned someone will swim the moat, scale the walls, break in and remove the bike from under my pillow when I'm dreaming Ti thoughts?

:oops:

Look out your window, see that car parked over the road, give me a wave............................

I've had many messages without reply, and haven't replied to many myself, for what ever reason (usually forgetfulness and lack of time on my part)

Unless you've taken pics of the bike in front of your house with the streetname and house number clearly visible, or some other way of identifying exactly where they were taken, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. Always take pics of parts against a plain background, without other stuff in the background, just in case.

And turn the GPS location info off from your camera or phone, I think some photos include it in the metadata, not sure how easy it is to extract from there, but it's probably possible...

Paranoid, without a doubt :LOL:

Ive sold lots of things over the years, and you will always get people asking the silliest of questions. I have found that the best approach to selling is to try to eliminate those, to save time if nothing else. So, take photos of every part of the item, all the parts you would want to see yourself if you were buying it from afar, i did notice you havent even posted any pictures of your road bike for sale :roll: of course people are going to ask to see what you are trying to sell, wouldnt you? also try to answer every question someone might have before they ask. Just all saves time and something you learn after answering countless questions all the time :)

and 50% of all people :LOL: :LOL: you should be in marketing

The History Man":3n26zq2s said:
Look out your window, see that car parked over the road, give me a wave............................

Look in your rear view mirror, see that person running off with a nice set of wheels, and trying to txt at same time......

Back