time for a rant on prices

themountie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
We all know prices will go up and down with trends .

Lately I have seen when going to my local auctions ebay gumtree even facebook market place , people are buying older/retro stuff at reasonable correct prices and because it retro they then put back straight for sale with little or no work done for 4 times what they paid or double or triple the market value. :shock:

We have a guy that gets down my local auction that dose not know much about cycles go's with the intent on buying everything so no one else gets it then with no work and a mean no work lists them for 4 times what he's paid and some stuff he's had for months and months and cannot sell it. :roll:

Case in point I do sell at the auction and I bought a alloy mongoose y frame for parts ,I stripped it down to the bare frame as the cable guide had broken off ,
so I put it in to the auction with a mix of frames and low and behold it shows up on ebay from the same guy 4 times what he paid due to it being retro with no mention of the knackered cable guide. :shock:

It happens all the time, some local guys to me hoover up everything in sight and its straight to ebay.

Certain people have made a career of it. Once saw a chap trying to sell stuff back to stall holders because he'd bought too much, he's pretty well known now and probably a bit litigious with it.

Just look at granniegear on ebay too

Re:

for the people that are in it for the bikes the hobby its making the prices rise even for the low end stuff now :roll: and most guys I have seen doing this have issues selling at the 4 times inflated price,

you will always get people willing to pay more than me or you and sometimes I have paid more than the next guy.
issue becomes when they buy loads and loads pay the going rate then turn round and then try and charge 3-4 times what they paid for it knackering the market up.
as I said its not just happing with the high end stuff its happing with the low end stuff pricing it way way way over that its worth

Re:

As you say, they try. Much of the overpriced stuff stays unsold. We know what things are worth, and also worth to us.

If these people want to sit on a garage full of bits for ages in the hope they can make a few extra £, good luck to them. One day they will either reduce the price,take an offer, or sell it back at auction or similar. The prices of chancers should not impact the true market value of something, it will possibly influence what others try and sell things for, which can give an artificial impression of the value/price of something.

Not listing damage is naughty though, and should be clamped down on (to the correct torque level, so as not to damage it).

Re:

There's no such thing as an artificial price rise though really, is there? Market value is defined by what the market will pay. If people are paying the "inflated" prices, then that is market value, regardless of what you think something should be worth..

Re: Re:

gradeAfailure":3471gz6w said:
There's no such thing as an artificial price rise though really, is there? Market value is defined by what the market will pay. If people are paying the "inflated" prices, then that is market value, regardless of what you think something should be worth..

This is so true ^ and how all free markets work, from the stock market to commodities its governed by supply and demand, just look at the price of oil ..... or bit coins

They all fluctuate and people win or loss fortunes betting against the market

Buy low sell high

Back