Rebuilding 1990 Explosif - Rim Question

Singletrack74

Devout Dirtbag
Hi All, new member here - I just (re)bought my long lost love a splattery pink and black Kona Explosif, and it needs - ahem - a bit of work!

BITD I remember it came with UKAI UM20 silver rims, which I promptly destroyed and replaced with Campag Thorrs.

I am looking to rebuild as close to original spec as poss, but the rims may have to be a point of compromise, as I don’t think I will find any. So, my second thought was using Campy rims again - maybe the Atek to keep with the original colour. However, most of the NOS XC pro hubsets are 36H...and the Atek only seems to be available in Black with 36h?

I did find some, but they seem to be a much later vintage (95/96 w/ purple stickers) - seems a bit took modern for the bike...

What do you folks suggest? Open to any ideas!

Re:

Not sure if this helps, but I have a ukai rimmed wheel doing nothing. Not sure of model as it only has a gold ukai decal. It's in good shape, aside from the marks next to the decal (storage). Wheel runs true and on an old lx hub (needs grease). Hardly seen a brake by the looks of the braking surface. If you want it you can have it for the price of postage.

Attachments

• 2018-01-30 10.32.39.jpg
    2018-01-30 10.32.39.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 631
  • 2018-01-30 10.33.03.jpg
    2018-01-30 10.33.03.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 631
  • 2018-01-30 10.33.23.jpg
    2018-01-30 10.33.23.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 631
Thanks for the offer, but not quite what I’m after - if I’m going to have to rebuild (which I am by the looks of things) I’m going to go for a pair for simplicity - thanks again though!

Ah, i assume this is that got pulled off ebay the other day? was looking at getting it myself ;)

The rims do come up now and again on ebay and the members on here have allsorts hidden away. I would put a wanted ad up and see if there are any about. Most parts do come eventually its just a waiting game. Im sure there is other things you could do to it while you wait :)

The only other thing is, we need pictures :LOL: lots of them.

And welcome :cool:

Yep we need lots of pictures please!
I have one of these to do as well and need inspiration!

Thanks guys - I have now found nearly all the bits I need; I found some 32H hubs, so was able to go for the older, silver Ateks!

It needs a LOT of bits :shock:

mkone":30uyvafx said:
Ah, i assume this is that got pulled off ebay the other day? was looking at getting it myself :wink :cool:

Do you have a link to this please - I can't seem to find it?

Bullpup":36lm0d0w said:
mkone":36lm0d0w said:
Ah, i assume this is that got pulled off ebay the other day? was looking at getting it myself :wink :cool:

Do you have a link to this please - I can't seem to find it?

Strange, all trace of the listing has been took off, only this listing, all the sellers other sold/ended items are still there. I still have the messages from the seller but none of the links in that work now either, have grabbed this image though from the messages, so i didnt dream it thank god :LOL:

Hey singletrack74, have you got any pictures of your bike? :)

Attachments

• 323036758163_1.jpg
    323036758163_1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 547
Re:

I will post some pictures soon, but it has a Track 2 fitted - just like my original one did back in 1990. Seems to be an early-season model as it actually still has an XC Pro rear hub, but it's non-greaseguard. That makes me think it was built using parts from 89, suggesting early season model. When I bought by original one back in Autumn '90 it had XC Pro hubs, bu they were greaseguard... SO, that means that I suspect that this was one of teh sets of Track 2's that should have been recalled - mine were, on a much later-season model. So, I might die. :shock:

Anyway, I have now solved the rim conundrum (which is what this thread is about!) - I found another set of hubs with 32H, so have ordered some NOS Ateks in silver. Not original spec, but the original rims are a) hard to come by and b) dreadful!

Latest posts

Back