Hairline cracks in HOPE fatso flanges

fattiman

Senior Retro Guru
I know this is a common trait of the HOPE titanium range but was wondering what peoples thoughts were on riding on a wheel with said defect? likely to just go bang or not?

Re:

I would say it will go bang - and at a time when it's less than convenient.

They go on the spoke holes at the flange (like the example below), and they also crack around the edge of the aluminium where it is an interference fit on the Titanium hub body - particularly the Fatso.

This front Ti Glide ended up like this. I was descending at speed on a farm twin track at the time, but managed to come to a stop without falling off. It scared the poo out me though :shock: .

Hopr Ti Glide F by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Ride it. Your only here once! Think of the extra adrenaline buzz every time you push it........... :mrgreen:

Re:

I always thought that the cracks were an extra cost option from the factory.

I'd have thought it would be okay for a bit of light pavement riding, but I wouldn't push it off road.

The older you get, the longer it takes to heal.

Mine went ping just riding along.

Or was it pong?

Could have been 'budoing' but cant confirm either way.

Re:

LGF, it's curious that you mention Ping and Pong and Budoing, as mine made the most extraordinary sound as it gave way.

It was a loud and low end "Twong" - I would imagine something like a Crossbow cord makes when it's let loose. It felt like the bike frame had been whacked with a rubber mallet. I was on my 1997 Titanium Kona King Kahuna with the ultra rare Stars 'n' Bars paint job. I remember thinking "Oh no, my beautiful bike frame has been twatted".

The piece of shrapnel must have gone flying off like a bullet, but thankfully it didn't hit me.... or the bike!

Pip.

Re: Re:

pipmeister":2qatbd08 said:
LGF, it's curious that you mention Ping and Pong and Budoing, as mine made the most extraordinary sound as it gave way.

It was a loud and low end "Twong" - I would imagine something like a Crossbow cord makes when it's let loose. It felt like the bike frame had been whacked with a rubber mallet. I was on my 1997 Titanium Kona King Kahuna with the ultra rare Stars 'n' Bars paint job. I remember thinking "Oh no, my beautiful bike frame has been twatted".

The piece of shrapnel must have gone flying off like a bullet, but thankfully it didn't hit me.... or the bike!

Pip.

The bike is obviously cursed :shock: if you want me to take it off your hands im here to help ;)

Back