N+zero

WWC

Senior Retro Guru
Sooooo...I’m not in a bad place storage wise...

13 complete bikes in the workshop/garage.

All acquired since I joined here...

None sold...

But now I’m genuinely on the edge and have 5 frames...

One Aquafade yo on the go since dot, one rarer fat barely started, one lts that is what it is and two ready to build (Kona dawg & yeti 575).

Harsh truth is some have to go.

Probably the Scott, the Coppi, the Marin Four Corners and Raleigh with brooks tape and saddle...

Question is, what’s it like selling bikes you genuinely like?

Re:

...obviously split equals more money but is selling as a whole easier to reconcile?

I.e. fire an forget but avoid checking eBay to see the shrapnel that may or may not be there?

Some hard choices ahead. I’m down to about 12 having had space issues and need to lose a few more really. Put them up for a price your happy with and wait.

When I joined I just had my Pace now I'm at 13, all keepers but I feel your pain..

Your braver than me !

Re:

Never easy parting with old friends, keep the rarer ones and part with ones you are more likely to find again if you change your mind...

Re:

This is a situation I suspect I will find myself in at some point in the middle-future.

It's not something I relish, and I have no idea how I would start.

The thought of splitting some of the bikes I've built genuinely makes me pretty sad, so I just bury my head in the sand - however you decide, good luck!

I recently got to the the point of actually asking a fellow forum member how he can buy, build, then sell so many bikes as it's something I can't do. He has had, and built, some incredible bikes, and I can't fathom how he could have let many of them go!

Simply put, he just doesn't dwell on it, and moves on to the next one. Although he didn't say as much, I suspect that for him it's simply the joy of the build, and the pursuit of the next childhood dream.

Makes perfect sense in many ways, but not something I can do at the moment!

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":2wr4jgr9 said:
Never easy parting with old friends, keep the rarer ones and part with ones you are more likely to find again if you change your mind...

Seconded.

i wont sell ever. Learn't from the mistakes of selling. Now only one bike. And some made tidy profits from reselling with out even riding the frames. Live and learn. Don't sell.
Also cycling mtb's is still the best exercise their is. The great British countryside on a summer day. Can't be beat. Let alone we have such a short summer.

Having sold a Manitou FS to pay the mortgage it hurt at first but needs must at the time

As you can see from my signature I’ve sold other bikes and parts and don’t really regret it, it’s all about the chase for me

Needs must. Sold a few but benefit outweighed the loss. The 'need' to sell implies something else which is more important. Ie, have a house with a garage.... Moving to a house WITHOUT a garage implies the benefit of moving outweighs the loss of bike space. I'm looking down that barrel now and while I don't like the view it is for the greater good.

As above, list for sale at a price you are happy to sell at, and see what happens

Back