Kona Explosif 1997 - Suitable rims?

Daverro

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I have recently come across an Explosif in pretty good condition that i am planning to build a new wheel-set for. The ones currently on the bike are fine from a functional standpoint but not at all matching the frame and rest of bike which is mostly original. I was wondering what rims would you guys recommend i look for? Hubs are also a unknown at the moment so if you have any input there I'm all ears.

I have a LBS close by with a pretty ok collection of NOS stuff. I have seen some Araya RM-17, Araya RM-20, Mavic 117, Mavic X138, Ritchey Vantage Pro, Sun CR16 etc on the shelves. Are any of these fitting the frame by quality/age?

Thanks in advance,
D

I can only speak from experience that Mavic 221 and 220s have never ever let me down, usually on XT M739 hubs or similar. Robust and light, they do the job and look good (and are catalogue spec).

However, if you can get some 1st or 2nd gen Crossmax or Crossride's then you're cooking. Really, really light and as strong, they're nothing short of transformation.

PS: in true retrobike vulture style, if yours is 19 or 20" and you don't fancy it anymore, hit me up ;) :D

Thanks @al-onestare, then i might go for whatever matching Mavic pair i can find. Out of curiosity and as i have been lurking on the forum a while before this my first post. How would the Araya RM-17 rims compare to the 220/221 and Crossmax/Crossrides?

Edit: It is a 19 inch frame =), so if/when i decide to let the Explosif go i will surely put it up here where i know it will find a new caring owner.

Latest posts

Back