Cannondale M700 Build

Photogaz

Dirt Disciple
Hi All!

Long time lurker but not really posted anything... so here goes :)

I used to work in a bike shop while I was at school in the mid nineties, I'm sure most of you have been there... you read the magazines got see the bikes but never really able to afford your dream kit!

I've been itching to build a bike for a while, but ended up traveling with work on and off for a couple of years so time was a bit of an issue etc.

First off I tried an Marin Alpine Trail build, but in all honesty just didn't like the feel of suspension so stripped it and went back to eBay...

I found a Cannondale M700 frame that had been stripped of all its paint, so it was just bare alu.

So with the collection of bits off eBay and some new bits (nice to live near Ribble and Merlin Cycles :)

So, here it is so far... still work to do of course..

M700 by Gary Sutton, on Flickr

As you can see, it is a bit of a odd collection of bits! Onza Smart Guy forks for a starter... not exactly OEM Cannondale!

Reason for having this is I got a set of Magura Race Lines...

I wanted to keep the weight down so I got a modern Deore C/Set and bottom bracket:

The steerer tube was a little long, but I left it as it was packed it out a little with spacers for the mo

This is also the frame with the slightly off drop outs

The rear brake does need bleeding as its pretty sloppy.

I also need to find a way to tidy up the brake hose for the rear brake, I did get some little adapters but the lugs are on the wrong side... so some little velcro straps will do for now (when they come).

But all in all it seems nice, had a quick spin around the block and it seem to feel pretty quick... for my and and my belly anyway!

...and of course I need some transfers!

Re:

Nice project going there! I'm currently in the middle of re spraying and rebuilding an original m800 beast of the East from 92.
All the original kit is there except the wheels but I have a pair of araya rm 20s with xt hubs to go on it.

I also have all the decals off here from Gil m. He is the one person on here who can reproduce them to exact standard... Although they were £40 with the laminating I think it's money well spent!!

Re:

Thanks!

It's been a good bit of stress relief from work at the weekends as well, I love to tinker!

Its always a pain juggling the cars around though as one always lives in the garage.

Was doing my homework last night watching youtube vids of bleed Magura brakes, seems straight forward enough and I have the kit etc.

Not sure if I'll paint/powder coat etc in the future, plenty of time for all that!

I know, this is a matter of personal preference. But usually the frames were made so the front brake is on the left.

Another minor detail on the Maguras: I would rotate the brakes left to right so that the connecting hose is facing towards the frame/fork. The reason beeing it would otherwise rub against the brakebooster you might want to use. Otherwise your brake bosses are in danger. The frame does flex significantly imho.

Thias":341b5e8c said:
I know, this is a matter of personal preference. But usually the frames were made so the front brake is on the left.

Another minor detail on the Maguras: I would rotate the brakes left to right so that the connecting hose is facing towards the frame/fork. The reason beeing it would otherwise rub against the brakebooster you might want to use. Otherwise your brake bosses are in danger. The frame does flex significantly imho.

Thanks very much for the info, much appreciated.

Would you recommend a booster for the front also? the fronts are on the 2 bolt mounts, not on canti mounts.

Not sure. Do the brakes flex outwards? If they do, I would use a booster.
I never had one of those dedicated forks.

Had another fettle today, moved the brakes around as advised and found a booster to add

I also did the same with the front

while doing this a changed the route of the rear hose and used some little adapters to attach to the cable guides already there. Not keen on the adapters in all honesty.

I did also have a go at bleeding the rear brake, it has made a difference but I think I need to do it again and get more air out... and get some more mineral oil. Fair few bubbles got out. It also wasn't as scary as I thought to do!

I got the bleed kit from Epic.

I think the TPA needs replacing to, as it seems to do bugger all.

Back