DynaCol

MacRetro Rider
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
"Pedalling Dreams: The Raleigh Story"

Should be interesting and essential viewing for the Raleigh fan :D

Re:

And all cycling enthusiasts too – excellent – great heads up! Wonder if they'll cover their forays into early 90's mtb race action? Wonder if my trusty Arena college hack will feature too – this saw plenty of action down the sides of Caerphilly Mountain...

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":3v3mehio said:
Wonder if they'll cover their forays into early 90's mtb race action?
Well, that will be a no then :LOL:
30 seconds to cover Raleigh's MTB history is a bit disappointing ("Raleigh made a few mountain bikes, now moving quickly on" seemed to be all they were willing to devote to that era) but it was still a thoroughly enjoyable watch. I'm guessing it'll be on iPayer for anyone that missed it.

Re:

I just watched it.

I didn't realise that one of the chaps that rode to the centre of the earth, in an article that LGF had linked to in a recent thread: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;start=20, was the same Nick Crane that regularly appears on Coast and other travel shows on the BBC. Nice to see that he kept the bike.

Nice to see that one of the ex employees still styles his hair like a capuchin monkey too. :p

Re: Re:

xerxes":3bvhxo5w said:
Nice to see that one of the ex employees still styles his hair like a capuchin monkey too. :p

One of the Nottingham Trumps?
I am watching it now.
The 50's film of the factory is on youtube.

Re:

Wow, imagine repeating that process thousands of times over, day in day out, and being paid on piece rate at the end of each week... also, I never knew Wolverine could also scratch jive records and make bikes either!

Have just watched this. Despite the very brief mention and disappointing lack of the mountain bikes, the documentary was enlightening and utterly charming, endearing and kind of moving, bringing back memories. It was great to see the rare historic footage used throughout and good to see that women were also prominent in cycling's history of manufacturing – seen lacing up wheels, etc – and in competitive riding, like Eileen Sheridan on a rival Hercules bike.

Was well impressed with Margaret Dutton who, as a young girl, rode 100 miles with her dad in under 24 hours to Rhyl from Almondbury, Huddersfield (the same place I'm from). I couldn't have envisaged doing that at the same age when I had my 'uncool in the 70s' red 3speed Elswick Hopper.

Very touching to see that Nick Crane still had his trusty original beloved Raleigh from his 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' epic ride – now that's a retrobike. The bit about the new modern Raleigh road team was depressing – internationally owned/manufactured carbon bikes using the heritage red and yellow colour way of the historic road team - Raleigh only in terms of the logo.

Might have to watch this again – wish I still had my Raleigh Areena...

Good prog. yes it skirted over mountain bikes but to be honest Raleigh weren't the pioneers of MTBing anyway. Did make me wanna source a Raleigh mtb though for nostalgia reasons.

Back