Help identifying an old Cannondale model

itayavra

Retro Newbie
Hey all,
I couldn't find any serial number on this bike to help me look for it's model and was hoping you could help me.
From what I could gather online it looks like an M500/700/800/1000 (I didn't really understand what the difference between the model is), and from the Cannondale sign it's probably from 1990-1996.
I couldn't find any serial number anywhere on it.

The reason I'm looking for the model (other than curiosity) is because I'm looking to replace the front shock and couldn't understand what exactly I should look for.
I'd appreciate your help with that too, it looks like its a Rockshox Magnesium 21 (please correct me if I'm mistaken).

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• photo_2017-02-12_14-19-08.jpg
    photo_2017-02-12_14-19-08.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 932
  • photo_2017-02-12_14-19-23.jpg
    photo_2017-02-12_14-19-23.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 932
  • photo_2017-02-12_14-19-27.jpg
    photo_2017-02-12_14-19-27.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 932
Re:

Thank you for the reply.
I couldn't find any serial number anywhere on the bike, that's why I was hoping some one here will be able to identify it.

Re:

The Mag21 forks may only need a good clean and a service with new seals, but you'll need special tools for it (at least according to the service manual).

If you decide that it's too much hassle and you just want to get another one, you may want to try selling the old one rather than throwing it away.

When replacing the fork, the following things are important :
- outer diameter of the steerer tube (either 1", 1 1/8" or 1 1/4")
- length of the steerer tube from the crown to the very top
- length of the thread at the top of the steerer (a bit longer is not a problem, shorter may or may not require taking it to the shop for adding some thread)

And of course there's the overall length when the fork is extended. Technically you could put a modern 140+mm fork on a frame designed for a 50mm fork, but it'll completely ruin the handling and put abnormal stress on the welds and tubes.

Re:

I think it's a 92 or 93 m700 with a 1.1/4 headset. Probably with lx parts on it.
Originally this had the Pepperoni forks mounted.
It looks pretty bad.
Nice rider though, if you can swap the parts.
M700 - m2000 were similar.
The lower numbers had a 1 inch headset and forks.

Considering the limited availability of 1.1/4 forks and the condition of the frame I'd look for a better shape frameset with the Pepperoni forks.

Re: Re:

Remko":3cca31np said:
I think it's a 92 or 93 m700 with a 1.1/4 headset. Probably with lx parts on it.
Would say the same thing : color and 1.1/4 headset were used on c'dale for only those two years…

Without the name on the horizontal tube (M…) it would be a frameset bought alone or a garantee changed frame

Re:

Thank you everyone! You've been a tremendous help.
I won't give up on the bike yet, it has a nostalgic value for me and the frame doesn't seem to be in such a bad shape aside from the paint scratches and a bit of rust and old dried grease.
I'll try to clean the forks over the weekend, you've given me hope :D

Thanks!

Back