Jockey wheels - does it matter if they're worn?

jimbo-xc

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
As title - I have some worn to pointy stars but so what - everything still works ok?
Do they do much other than stopping the chain rubbing the mech cage?
(Might be a silly question)

I would be interested to know too. Although I have always replaced them because of the bearings before they get anywhere near looking worn.

Re:

you mean to say that you are running your jockey wheels down in much the same way that North America's federal governments are running their economy's deficits ...

Well, things might hold together for a surprisingly long time, but when they finally 'let go' ... look out!

its a philosophical thing (why not maintain your cogs, sprockets, jockeys, and chain properly ... the shifting and ride are much smoother/nicer for it)

It'll work.
Shifting will get worse.

Then the chain will skip off and trash whatever it gets caught on.

^^^^ as above, for the sake of £2 el cheapo chinese alloy jockey wheels, is it worth the risk?

mattr":7nm0jtkn said:
It'll work.
Shifting will get worse.

Then the chain will skip off and trash whatever it gets caught on.

Last summer I had the chain skip off a worn pulley and get jammed between the pulley and cage. As soon as I pedaled the derailleur got pulled into the wheel locking it up, broke the hanger bolt and bent the hanger. New pulleys would have been cheaper and less work, plus walking home carrying the bike really sucked.

Re:

Well, that will be me swapping out some jockey wheels tomorrow then. Most helpful thanks. I've got some, just getting my money's worth out of the old ones.

You can get away with a worn tension pulley, I don't have any idea how worn as I replace really pointy ones, but worn guide pulleys usually make shifting crap.

Latest posts

Back