Orange P7 nickel frame finish restoration help

Gremmers

Dirt Disciple
I am currently restoring my '95 P7 which I have owned from new. There are a few build threads on here of similar projects, what methods, products or companies have people used to restore the nickel finish on the frame and forks ?

I have read about the tin foil method but my frame has some rust spots on it so will that get rid of them and bring the frame back shiney again.

Anybody used any of the following; Bob Jackson, Chris Marshall, C&G Finishes or NiTEC UK as their names crop up on build threads here.

Thanks in advance, this is the first bike I have tried to restore or work on.

Foil will remove small rust spots and stains. It all depends on how bad your is - some are almost pristine, others I have seen have the rust under the plating.

Bob Jackson are very good, likewise C&G. I have no experience with the other two.

A number of classic Motocrosser or Scrambles frames are Nickel plated, so it could be worth talking to them about how to restore it

Key for me when refurbing Mrs R's frame was to make sure all the lacquer was off first. The. A bit of tin foil, followed by an Autosol buff. It's not looking too bad now. If money were no object, I'd get it re-plated.

Here's the build thread (so far -- rather paused on the forks at the mo as I really want some nickel F7s): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=356033

Re:

I have now had a price of Bob Jackson and it is nearly as much as I paid for the bike when new. I have also phoned C&G and they no longer do nickel plating. I will probably now have a go myself with the tin foil.

Rouleur I have had a look at your photos and my frame is no worse than that with regards the rust spots I would say, I'll get some nitromors and get buffing.

Re:

Good luck with the buffing. It's a nice day for it today!

I also got some Kurust from Halfords to swill out the inside and dab on the larger rust spots (mostly under the rear wishbone, so not too visible). Seems to have helped and will hopefully stop any further deterioration -- especially on the bits you can't see inside.

Back